Eulers equation, i think? leonard suskin

• Thread starter jerkazoid
  • Start date
In summary, Leonard Susskind discusses the "Euler equation" on the chalkboard during the Nova episode on String theory. He seems to have made a mistake in the equation, missing a bracket in the numerator. The correct equation should be with a two instead of a z in the denominator.
jerkazoid
leonard susskind writes this on the chalk board a little after 1/2 way in this Nova episode on String theory

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/programs/ht/qt/3013_03.html
3536633512_73e6d9aedf_o.jpg

am i writing this correctly?

Γ [1-∝(s) Γ (1-∝(t)]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I am missing something it seems he missed a bracket. In the numerator there are 4 ( brackets and only 3 ) brackets.

Cyosis said:
Unless I am missing something it seems he missed a bracket. In the numerator there are 4 ( brackets and only 3 ) brackets.

but other than that... I am recreating it correctly?

ok so like this right?

Γ [1-∝(s)] Γ [1-∝(t)]

No, the "Euler equation" they are talking about looks like this:

[tex]
\frac{\Gamma(x) \Gamma(y)}{\Gamma(x+y)}
[/tex]

So it should be:

[tex]
\frac{\Gamma(1-\alpha(s)) \Gamma(1-\alpha(t))}{\Gamma(2-\alpha(s)-\alpha(t))}
[/tex]

A two not a z.

1. What is Euler's equation?

Euler's equation is a mathematical formula that relates the complex exponential function to trigonometric functions. It is written as: eix = cos(x) + i*sin(x), where e is Euler's number and i is the imaginary unit.

2. Who was Leonhard Euler?

Leonhard Euler was a Swiss mathematician, physicist, astronomer, and engineer who made significant contributions to many areas of mathematics, including calculus, graph theory, and number theory. He is also known for developing Euler's equation.

3. What is the importance of Euler's equation?

Euler's equation is important because it shows the deep connections between seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts. It has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing.

4. How is Euler's equation used in real life?

Euler's equation is used in many real-life applications, such as in electrical engineering to analyze circuits, in physics to describe wave phenomena, and in economics to model growth and oscillations. It is also used in signal processing to convert signals between the time and frequency domains.

5. How difficult is it to understand Euler's equation?

Euler's equation can be challenging to understand for those who are new to complex numbers and trigonometric functions. However, with some basic knowledge in these areas, it can be easily grasped and applied in various mathematical problems. Practice and exposure to different applications of the equation can also aid in understanding it better.