Everett's MWI versus DeWitt's MWI

• I
  • Thread starter jbergman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mwi
In summary: PeterDonis's post is a good overview of the history of the MWI and the differences between Everett's and DeWitt's versions.
jbergman
TL;DR Summary
Looking for references on the differences between Everett's version of MWI and the more popular version of DeWitt
I've read from various sources that Everett's original version of the MWI is different than the current popular account of MWI which I believe is more due to DeWitt. Specifically, Everett's initial interpretation placed less emphasis on the reality of the branching universes.

I haven't found a good account that discusses these differences and the history of the MWI in depth. I am wondering if a) I am correct that Everett's views were different from his subsequent contemporaries and b) if there are any good references other than Everett's original thesis that discuss this in depth.

Likes AlexCaledin
Physics news on Phys.org
jbergman said:
Summary:: Looking for references on the differences between Everett's version of MWI and the more popular version of DeWitt

I've read from various sources that Everett's original version of the MWI is different than the current popular account of MWI which I believe is more due to DeWitt. Specifically, Everett's initial interpretation placed less emphasis on the reality of the branching universes.
Under MWI, there is but the one universe, and it is real. DeWitt coined 'MWI' and probably dragged the interpretation out of obscurity, but nobody suggests that there is some kind of metaphysically new thing created, especially one that is less real than the one we observe.

if there are any good references other than Everett's original thesis that discuss this in depth.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9709032.pdf which is ref 4 on wiki

Likes AlexCaledin and jbergman
I found a good overview at https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-everett/ that goes in depth into Everett's Interpretation and contrasts it with the later interpretation popularized by DeWitt. In particular, as a first approximation, Everett doesn't suggest a splitting of worlds whereas DeWitt does.

Likes EclogiteFacies