Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Every sequence has a convergent subsequence?

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    I'm not sure if this is true or not. but from what I can gather, If the set of Natural numbers (divergent sequence) {1, 2, 3, 4, 5,...} is broken up to say {1}, is this a subsequence that converges and therefore this statement is true?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are wondering if it is always possible to find at least one convergent subsequence in any sequence however divergent?
    Your specific question amounts to whether a sequence with a finite number of elements is convergent.
    To answer that, check the definition of "converge".

Where does the question come up?

4. Nov 2, 2014 #3
    if it's possible to find at least one convergent subsequence in ANY sequence.

Definition of converge: "A sequence {a(n)} converges to a real number A iff for each epsilon>0 there is a positive integer N such that for all n >= N we have |a(n) - A| < epsilon."

5. Nov 2, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

6. Nov 2, 2014 #5
    Hey, thanks a lot. Now i understand it.

7. Nov 4, 2014 #6
    Only a bounded sequence has a convergent subsequence. An unbounded one, like 1,2, 3, 4...may not.

8. Nov 6, 2014 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does {1,2,3,..,n,.. } , i.e., a_n:=n have a convergent subsequence? Of course, this depends on your topology, but, as
    a subspace of the Reals, does this have a convergent subsequence? This is one of the characterization of compact metric spaces, as every sequence having a convergent subsequence. And, in the subspace topology of the Reals,
    {1,2,3,....} is/not compact (find a cover by open sets so that each contains a single number).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook