Everyday experience with physics

In summary: I had to include it.I'm a physics major because it's the subject that I am the most passionate about. I have always been interested in understanding the world around me and I think that Physics is the perfect subject to do that with. I have found that my involvement in Physics has allowed me to develop skills such as problem solving, critical thinking, and analytical thinking. I have also gained a deep understanding of the laws of physics and have been able to apply them to real world situations.
Bmop
Hello all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.
At the moment, I'm writing the essay for my college application (I know, I know, but please read on). I'm transferring from a community college, and I decided to transfer as a physics major.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to come up with examples of everyday experiences everyone has that involve physics.
Here are some examples I've written so far -

"I've driven a car."
"I've been in a car accident."
"I've ridden a roller coaster."
"I've flown in an airplane."
"I've been punched in the face."

This is the prompt -
Q. What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field — such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities — and what you have gained from your involvement.

Basically, I decided to become a physics major after taking a class last semester, so I have no experience in the field... except for examples like I've given.
YOUR task, if you would like to help, is to come up with more examples similar to mine; the cleverer the better.
Unfortunately, I can't cite you when I turn in my paper, so if you post it, it's up for grabs. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bmop said:
Hello all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.
At the moment, I'm writing the essay for my college application (I know, I know, but please read on). I'm transferring from a community college, and I decided to transfer as a physics major.

In a nutshell, I'm trying to come up with examples of everyday experiences everyone has that involve physics.
Here are some examples I've written so far -

"I've driven a car."
"I've been in a car accident."
"I've ridden a roller coaster."
"I've flown in an airplane."
"I've been punched in the face."

This is the prompt -
Q. What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field — such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities — and what you have gained from your involvement.

Basically, I decided to become a physics major after taking a class last semester, so I have no experience in the field... except for examples like I've given.
YOUR task, if you would like to help, is to come up with more examples similar to mine; the cleverer the better.
Unfortunately, I can't cite you when I turn in my paper, so if you post it, it's up for grabs. Thanks!

All of your examples are considering motion. Physics is a broad subject and the best description I can think of is that Physics is understanding the way in which everything from atoms to the universe behaves. For me my interest in Physics started at a young age as I have always been curious about the world around me.

I've used a ramp.
I sit on a chair (and it doesn't collapse into pieces or diffuse into a gas).
I flushed the toilet.
I've looked in the mirror.
I've seen that the sky is blue and the sunsets are red.
I've seen socks stick together in the dryer.
I've used a microwave, a GPS, a DVD player, an iPhone, a Wii, ...
I use batteries to power these devices.
My iPhone is wireless.
My coffee cools when I add cream to it.
I've seen lightning before I hear the thunder.
I can hear around corners, although I can't see around them.

..certainly much more can be added.

I always thought it was cool just how much phenomena can be explained simply by the fact that the coefficient of static friction is greater than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Although this is the least of my interests..

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with matter, energy, motion, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand and explain how the universe works at a fundamental level.

2. How does physics impact our everyday experiences?

Physics plays a crucial role in our everyday experiences, from the simple act of walking to complex technological advancements. It helps us understand how things move, why objects have certain properties, and how energy is transferred and transformed.

3. What are some examples of everyday experiences that involve physics?

Some examples of everyday experiences that involve physics include riding a bike, using a cell phone, cooking, driving a car, and playing sports. All of these activities rely on principles of physics, such as motion, forces, and energy.

4. Why is it important to study physics?

Studying physics is important because it helps us better understand the world around us and how it works. It also leads to technological advancements that improve our quality of life and can even address global issues, such as climate change.

5. Can everyone understand and apply physics concepts?

Yes, everyone has the ability to understand and apply physics concepts. While some may find it more challenging than others, with proper guidance and practice, anyone can grasp the fundamental principles of physics and use them in their everyday lives.