Example in topology: quotient maps and arcwise connected

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a quotient map p: X \to Y where Y is pathwise connected and p^{-1}(\{ y \}) \subset X is also pathwise connected for all y \in Y. The topologist's sine curve is given as an example for X, with p defined as the projection on the x-axis and Y being [0,1] with the quotient topology. It is noted that the topologists' sine curve is connected, but not path connected, making it a suitable example for the discussion.
nonequilibrium
Just to make sure that I'm not overlooking anything, is the following an example of a quotient map [itex]p: X \to Y[/itex] with the properties that Y is pathwise connected (i.e. connected by a continuous function from the unit interval), [itex]\forall y \in Y: p^{-1}(\{ y \}) \subset X[/itex] also pathwise connected and such that X is not connected?

As [itex]X[/itex] take the topologist's sine curve (i.e. the closure of the curvy bit), and simply define p as the projection on the x-axis, such that [itex]Y = [0,1][/itex] with the quotient topology, which I think coincides with the normal topology on it. By definition of quotient topology, p is a quotient map. Also, Y is pathwise connected and it seems that [itex]\forall y \in [0,1]: p^{-1}(\{ y \})[/itex] is also pathwise connected.

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the topologists' sine curve connected? It is the closure of the continuous image of the semi-open interval (0,1]. And the closure of a connected space (which is the definition of the topologists' sine curve that I know of, i.e., the closure of the graph of Sin(1/x) for x in (0,1]) is also connected. AFAIK, the topologists' sine curve is the standard example of connected , but not path-connected.

Last edited:
Bacle2 said:
Isn't the topologists' sine curve connected? It is the closure of the continuous image of the semi-open interval (0,1]. And the closure of a connected space (which is the definition of the topologists' sine curve that I know of, i.e., the closure of the graph of Sin(1/x) for x in (0,1]) is also connected. AFAIK, the topologists' sine curve is the standard example of connected , but not path-connected.

Yeah, it is connected, but not path connected. We were looking for something that wasn't path connected.

Yes, your example is a valid one. It satisfies all the properties mentioned and serves as a good illustration of quotient maps and arcwise connectedness in topology.

The topologist's sine curve is a classic example often used in topology to demonstrate certain concepts. It is a subset of the plane that is not connected, but its closure is. This makes it a good candidate for your example as X.

The projection map p is a standard example of a quotient map. It maps the topologist's sine curve onto the interval [0,1] with the quotient topology. This topology is indeed the same as the usual topology on [0,1].

Furthermore, as you pointed out, Y is pathwise connected and p^{-1}(\{y\}) is also pathwise connected for all y \in Y. This can be easily verified by considering the continuous function f:[0,1] \to Y defined by f(t) = t, which connects any two points in Y.

Overall, your example serves as a good illustration of how quotient maps preserve certain topological properties, such as arcwise connectedness, and how they can be used to construct new spaces with interesting properties.

1. What is a quotient map in topology?

A quotient map is a continuous function between topological spaces that maps each element in the domain to an element in the codomain. It is commonly used to create new topological spaces by identifying certain points in the original space.

2. How is a quotient map related to equivalence relations?

A quotient map is closely related to equivalence relations, as it essentially identifies points that are considered equivalent under the given relation. This allows for the creation of new topological spaces with distinct properties.

3. What is the importance of arcwise connectedness in topology?

Arcwise connectedness is an important concept in topology because it allows us to understand the continuous paths between points in a topological space. It helps to determine whether a space is connected or not, which has significant implications in many branches of mathematics.

4. How does the concept of quotient maps relate to arcwise connectedness?

Quotient maps can be used to create new topological spaces that retain the same arcwise connectedness as the original space. This is because the quotient map preserves the continuous paths between points, ensuring that the new space remains arcwise connected.

5. Can you give an example of a quotient map that preserves arcwise connectedness?

One example of a quotient map that preserves arcwise connectedness is the projection map from the unit square to the Möbius strip. This map identifies the opposite edges of the square, creating a new space that is still arcwise connected but has a different topological structure.