Excel/Google Sheets REGEXMATCH

• Thread starter Steven Ellet
  • Start date
In summary, the formula provided uses REGEXMATCH to determine if the cell in B1 contains "May" and returns a value of 1 or 0. The goal is to replace "May" with a cell lookup that highlights any cell with the current month. The extra information includes a cell lookup formula using the MONTH function to determine the current month. The problem has been solved using the provided information.
Steven Ellet
Current Formula =IF(REGEXMATCH(B1,"May"), 1, 0)
Problem: I am trying to find a way to replace "May" with a cell lookup.
Goal: Highlight any cell with current month (in this case, May) in B:B or C:C (if I need 2 formulas, that is fine)
Extra info:
Cell lookup: =IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=1,"January",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=2,"February",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=3,"March",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=4,"April",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=5,"May",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=6,"June",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=7,"July",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=8,"August",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=9,"September",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=10,"October",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=11,"December",IF((MONTH(TODAY()))=12,"May"))))))))))))

Computer science news on Phys.org
Case solved

1. What is REGEXMATCH in Excel/Google Sheets?

REGEXMATCH is a function used in both Excel and Google Sheets that allows users to search for a specific pattern or text within a cell or range of cells. It uses regular expressions, a sequence of characters that define a search pattern, to identify matches within the data.

2. How do I use REGEXMATCH in Excel/Google Sheets?

To use REGEXMATCH, you need to first select the cell where you want the result to appear. Then, type "=REGEXMATCH(" followed by the cell or range of cells you want to search, a comma, and the regular expression or text you want to find. Close the parentheses and press enter to see the result.

3. Can I use REGEXMATCH to search for multiple patterns?

Yes, you can use REGEXMATCH to search for multiple patterns by using the "|" symbol to separate each pattern. For example, if you want to search for the words "apple" or "orange" in a cell, you can use the formula "=REGEXMATCH(A1,"apple|orange")". This will return "TRUE" if either pattern is found in the cell.

4. Are REGEXMATCH searches case-sensitive?

By default, REGEXMATCH searches are case-sensitive, meaning it will only find exact matches of the pattern or text you specify. However, you can use the "i" flag at the end of your regular expression to make the search case-insensitive. For example, "=REGEXMATCH(A1,"apple","i")" will find both "apple" and "Apple" in the cell.

5. Can I combine REGEXMATCH with other functions in Excel/Google Sheets?

Yes, you can combine REGEXMATCH with other functions to perform more complex searches and return specific results. For example, you can use IF statements to determine what result is returned based on whether the REGEXMATCH finds a match or not. You can also use functions like COUNTIF or SUMIF to count or sum the number of cells that match a certain pattern.