Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existence and Uniqueness Theorem

1. Feb 2, 2014 #1
    Hello Everyone.

I have a question. Suppose I have a differential equation for which I want to find the values at which [itex]\displaystyle f(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/itex] are discontinuous, that I might know the points at which more than one solution exists. Suppose that [itex]\displaystyle y_1[/itex] is such a value. Now suppose we want to find a unique solution at [itex]\displaystyle (x_0, y_0)[/itex], and that it exists. My question is, can the region that encloses [itex]\displaystyle (x_0,y_0)[/itex] also include [itex]\displaystyle y_1[/itex]?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2014 #2
    Hi bashyboy,

Statement of the Existence and Uniqueness Theorem:

If ##f(x,y)## and ##f_y(x,y)## are continuous in a rectangle ##R: |t|<= a, |y| <= b##, then there is some interval ##|t| <= h <= a## in which there exists a unique solution ##y = \phi(t)## of the initial value problem.

I find the wording of your question a bit confusing, so I'm coming in with the assumption that you're trying to find out if ##y_1## is the value at which the function and/or its y partial are discontinuous if it can exist in the rectangle ##R##. If this assumption is correct then maybe I am the confusing one!

I'm also assuming here that you have created a line ##y_1## where the function and/or its derivative are continuous. Line, point, whatever :P

So if the function and its y partial are discontinuous at that point ##y_1##, then it does not satisfy the first condition of the theorem where it must be continuous in that rectangle. Therefore your points ##(x_0,y_0)## and your line ##y_1## cannot live in the same rectangle. Bad blood bro.

I hope this is what you were looking for!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook