1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Existential Proof of a Unique Solution to a Set of Non-Linear Equations

1. Oct 27, 2008 #1
    Dear all,

I have a set of 5 non-linear equations with highly complicated and long forms for which I wish to find the unique solution. I was going to tackle this problem with Broyden's method since the derivatives cannot be easily found.

However, even if I get a solution from this, this is not the same as proofing that only one unique solution exists.

What method would readers recommend I employ to attempt to prove whether there is a unique solution or not to this problem? I was thinking along the lines of covariance matrices...

Natski

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    Assume that two distinct solutions exist, then derive a contradiction.
    It's difficult to say further without more information about your problem.

4. Oct 18, 2010 #3
    Have you tried assuming that there are two solutions (just label as s_1 and s_2). Then apply them through the equations and find a contradiction to the assumption.

5. Oct 18, 2010 #4
    What makes you think that the solution is (should be) unique, to start with?
    A set of nonlinear algebraic equations (it seems to me you are not talking about differential equations) can have more than one solution.
    For example, a set of two quadratic equations with two unknowns can have two distinct solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?