ExoPlanet Hunting: Observing Stars with Celestron C11 XLT

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Cyclotron
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Exoplanet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Cyclotron
Messages
23
Reaction score
0
Hi there,

Im wondering if it is possible to observe a known star that is known to have a Jupiter planet orbiting it, and analyse its light intensity to search for the planet with a Celestron C11 XLT and a CCD?
Examining its spectra with some computer software.
Its a thought for my final year project for my physics degree.

Thanks
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I am not an amateur astronomer but I can tell you that in internet you can find lots of impressive of results of amateurs on this area especially applying differential photometry to the TrES-1 transits. This should be possible with such a telescope as far as I have read. http://www.aavso.org/vstar/vsots/fall04.shtml you can find an article with some interesting links.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the question for a final year project. Now I was asking if it were possible to detect signs of a planet with the C11.
 
This is the article I posted two months ago: http://www.aavso.org/observing/programs/ccd/transitsearch.shtml

In it is discussion of detection methods and candidate stars/exoplanets, including one around a 7.7 magnitude star that it says was initially discovered by a 4" telescope. Definitely within the range of a C11.

Having just picked up a C11, I may try this myself sometime...
 
Last edited by a moderator: