Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Expectation value of momentum for free particle

1. Jun 14, 2016 #1
    Hello!
    Could somebody please tell me how i can compute the expectation value of the momentum in the case of a free particle(monochromatic wave)? When i take the integral, i get infinity, but i have seen somewhere that we know how much the particle's velocity is, so i thought that we can get it from the expectation value of its momentum.

Also, Wikipedia states(here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_particle#Measurement_and_calculations -- just scroll down a bit) that one CAN do the calculation via the integral and get hbar*k.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2016 #2

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

The result depends on the state in which you compute the expectation. In a Gaussian state the result is finite.

4. Jun 14, 2016 #3
    Hello! No, no, i am talking about a monochromatic wave(single k).

5. Jun 14, 2016 #4

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

For an unnormalizable wave function such as ##|k\rangle## you cannot talk about expectations, let alone compute them!

6. Jun 14, 2016 #5
    So, why does Wikipedia(the link i have provided) state that it is hbar*k?

7. Jun 14, 2016 #6

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

You must calculate the expectation for wave packets (such as Gaussians), and then take the limit of infinite spread in position, and zero spread in momentum.

8. Jun 14, 2016 #7
    Gaussian with infinity variance gives a plane wave or a constant(in space) function?

9. Jun 14, 2016 #8

A. Neumaier

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

##\psi(x)=e^{\pm ik\cdot x-x^2/2\sigma^2}## gives (after normalization, and with the correct sign) a moving Gaussian wave packet with momentum ##\langle p\rangle=\hbar k## and approaches a plane wave in the limit ##\sigma\to\infty##

10. Jun 14, 2016 #9
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted