Expectation value of momentum for free particle

In summary, Wikipedia says that you can calculate the expectation value of the momentum by taking the limit of infinite spread in position and zero spread in momentum.
Joker93
Hello!
Could somebody please tell me how i can compute the expectation value of the momentum in the case of a free particle(monochromatic wave)? When i take the integral, i get infinity, but i have seen somewhere that we know how much the particle's velocity is, so i thought that we can get it from the expectation value of its momentum.

Also, Wikipedia states(here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_particle#Measurement_and_calculations -- just scroll down a bit) that one CAN do the calculation via the integral and get hbar*k.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The result depends on the state in which you compute the expectation. In a Gaussian state the result is finite.

A. Neumaier said:
The result depends on the state in which you compute the expectation. In a Gaussian state the result is finite.
Hello! No, no, i am talking about a monochromatic wave(single k).

Adam Landos said:
Hello! No, no, i am talking about a monochromatic wave(single k).
For an unnormalizable wave function such as ##|k\rangle## you cannot talk about expectations, let alone compute them!

A. Neumaier said:
For an unnormalizable wave function such as ##|k\rangle## you cannot talk about expectations, let alone compute them!
So, why does Wikipedia(the link i have provided) state that it is hbar*k?

Adam Landos said:
So, why does Wikipedia(the link i have provided) state that it is hbar*k?
You must calculate the expectation for wave packets (such as Gaussians), and then take the limit of infinite spread in position, and zero spread in momentum.

A. Neumaier said:
You must calculate the expectation for wave packets (such as Gaussians), and then take the limit of infinite spread in position, and zero spread in momentum.
Gaussian with infinity variance gives a plane wave or a constant(in space) function?

Adam Landos said:
Gaussian with infinity variance gives a plane wave or a constant(in space) function?
##\psi(x)=e^{\pm ik\cdot x-x^2/2\sigma^2}## gives (after normalization, and with the correct sign) a moving Gaussian wave packet with momentum ##\langle p\rangle=\hbar k## and approaches a plane wave in the limit ##\sigma\to\infty##

Likes Joker93
A. Neumaier said:
##\psi(x)=e^{\pm ik\cdot x-x^2/2\sigma^2}## gives (after normalization, and with the correct sign) a moving Gaussian wave packet with momentum ##\langle p\rangle=\hbar k## and approaches a plane wave in the limit ##\sigma\to\infty##
Thanks!

What is the expectation value of momentum for a free particle?

The expectation value of momentum for a free particle is the average value of the momentum that would be measured if the particle were observed many times. It takes into account all possible momentum values and their corresponding probabilities.

How is the expectation value of momentum calculated for a free particle?

The expectation value of momentum for a free particle is calculated by taking the integral of the momentum operator over all possible momentum values, weighted by the probability of each value occurring.

What does the expectation value of momentum represent?

The expectation value of momentum represents the most probable momentum that a free particle will have at any given time. It is a measure of the average momentum of the particle.

Why is the expectation value of momentum important in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value of momentum is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to describe the behavior of a free particle in terms of probabilities, rather than definite values. This is essential in understanding the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

How does the expectation value of momentum change with time for a free particle?

The expectation value of momentum for a free particle remains constant over time, as long as the particle is not acted upon by any external forces. This is a consequence of the principle of conservation of momentum in quantum mechanics.