Expected Value of 2^X and 2^-X for Geometric and Poisson Distributions?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Cedric Chia
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
TL;DR
Help find E[2^X] and E[2^-X] if X~Geom(p) and if X~Pois(lambda)
For the following distributions find $$E[2^X]$$ and $$E[2^{-X}]$$ if finite. In each case,clearly state for what values of the parameter the expectation is finite.

(a) $$X\sim Geom(p)$$
(b) $$X\sim Pois(\lambda)$$

My attempt:

Using LOTUS and $$E[X]=\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}kP(X=k)=\frac{1-p}{p}$$
thus
$$E[2^X]= \frac{1-p}{p} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{2^k}{k}$$
and
$$E[2^{-X}]= \frac{1-p}{p} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k2^k}$$
for $$X\sim Geom(p)$$
but the expected value in either case seems to be divergent, I don't know how to continue, please help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cedric Chia said:
$$E[2^X]= \frac{1-p}{p} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty}\frac{2^k}{k}$$
I don't think this step is correct. I suggest that you start from ##E[f(X)] = \sum_k {f(k)p(k)}##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Along what tnich said, maybe you can use a transform like:

##P[2^X >a]=P[ e^{Xln2}>a]=...##

A simpler example: Given X, if you want to find the distribution of ##X^2## , we use:

##P[X^2>a]= P[ X > a^{1/2}] ##