Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Experiment re quantum randomness

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    "True' randomness cannot be generated by any efficient algorithm (Kolmogorov) while pseudorandomness can be, such as the apparently random digit sequences of irrational numbers. The experimental realization of quantum states is taken to be an example of 'true' randomness in nature. However, if there is a deterministic substratum to such outcomes, then there apparently would be no 'true' randomness' in nature.

The following paper claims experimental evidence for 'true' randomness in quantum outcomes in the Kolmogorov sense. Since the authors concede they cannot 'prove' true randomness, would this evidence carry weight to those who hold that an underlying deterministic substratum must exist?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2
    I think 'randomness' in any form is a flimsy term. I think 'random' as it relates to acausality, predictability, and deterministically (dependence on prior causes) must be defined more clearly. When one talks of randomness I think this can mean different things to different people.
  4. Apr 21, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Please note that in forums other than high energy physics and BTSM, we still require peer-reviewed references as valid sources. Unless you have the exact citation, you should wait until it has been published to make references to it.

Furthermore, they will have an interesting time addressing THIS:

5. Apr 21, 2010 #4
    I'm surprised you would say that in the Quantum Physics forum since QM is grounded in probability theory. In any case, I specified Kolmogorov randomness which is the accepted definition in the computationally based sciences. It is true that a finite character string cannot be definitively said to be 'truly' random. It is a mathematical property of an infinite character string which, if truly random, must contain every possible finite substring (or subsequence). So for example, the decimal expansion of pi is indistinguishable statistically from a random string up to some finite n, but we cannot say it is a random string since it is generated by an efficient algorithm and we only have finite examples.
  6. Apr 21, 2010 #5
    Re: Recent Noteworthy Physics Papers

Thanks for this citation and abstract. Some forums allow arXiv papers. Sorry about linking it, but I'm not making any claims based on it. I do think it's an interesting read and reflects competence in terms of the computational issues. The PF members can decide how it might apply, if it all, to their particular interests.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook