Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explain the mechanics behind this bizarre video

1. Jun 19, 2013 #1

K29

This building gets pulled down and in a weird unexpected kind of blast everything shoots out sideways.

The guy holding the camera gets knocked out and the camera is just lying on the floor but theres nothing graphic in the video.

My mind is blown trying to understand what happened and how everything shot out like 100ft sideways

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2013 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The wall rotates when it's falling down, when the wall fragments when it hits the floor the rotation causes the fragments to be slung out?

4. Jun 19, 2013 #3
    It seems pretty clear to me. The section of building that came off hit on edge first, then flopped toward the camera and shattered into pieces.

5. Jun 19, 2013 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I saw no good forthcoming as soon as the wall started peeling off with a rotation. Conservation of angular momentum is a nasty taskmaster.

6. Jun 19, 2013 #5
    Don't try this at home.:devil:

7. Jun 19, 2013 #6
    Someone died from that. It's easy to see how that could happen with those rocks flying at them so fast.

8. Jun 19, 2013 #7

Dembadon

Gold Member

Agreed.

It's difficult to tell, but it doesn't look like they did any perforation along the left side of the piece they were trying to pull off. I would have at least cut straight up from the top of the rightmost window opening. It looks like that could have been a large contributor to the issue. The piece stays attached along the left side which causes it to start rotating the way it did.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook