Why does a chairlift need more energy to start than to keep running?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Kennedy111
Messages
27
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Propose an explanation for the following fact. Include a description of the energy transfers that would take place when the lift starts and stops.

A fully loaded chairlift requires more energy to start then it does to maintain motion.

The Attempt at a Solution


I thought that perhaps it takes more energy in the beginning because the chairlift has inertia and is resisting the change. You need to apply more energy to get over this initial inertia.

I'm having a hard time including energy transfers...

I know that when the lift starts riders gain gravitational potential energy, which eventually turns into kinetic energy on the way back down the hill..

Thank you !
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When it's running at constant speed it's giving mass additional PE at a rate that depends on the speed.

But it has to get to that speed first so...