Explaining your Physics degree to relatives

• Thread starter TechieDork
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm studying 2nd year Physics in Thailand and I always have hard time explaining what I would do with my Physics degree for a living to my relatives and family.

Every relative gathering on holidays, I'll always get bombarded with questions .

-So what's you're going to do after college,son.
-You better go for an engineering.
-I expect you to be the first doctor in our family.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
I'm studying 2nd year Physics in Thailand and I always have hard time explaining what I would do with my Physics degree for a living to my relatives and family.

Every relative gathering on holidays, I'll always get bombarded with questions .

-So what's you're going to do after college,son.
-You better go for an engineering.
-I expect you to be the first doctor in our family.
Is there a question in there...? If not, I have one: So what's you're going to do after college, son?

Maybe most laymen have no idea what physcists
Is there a question in there...? If not, I have one: So what's you're going to do after college, son?

Oh Sorry,I forgot to put the question mark in there.
Yeah,it's a question

Yeah,it's a question
Sorry if this sounds rude, I don't mean it that way.

So you are asking us, what you will do with your degree for a living? Really, how can we answer that?

You need to reformulate the question into something that can be answered by strangers on the internet.

russ_watters
Mentor
Sorry if this sounds rude, I don't mean it that way.

So you are asking us, what you will do with your degree for a living? Really, how can we answer that?

You need to reformulate the question into something that can be answered by strangers on the internet.
...or attempt to answer the question itself. I'm going to hazard a guess, @TechieDork , that you posted this because you aren't confident in the answer. If that's true, you should put some direct thought into it.