Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explicit solution of heat/diffusion equation

1. Nov 23, 2007 #1
    I am trying to use a explicit FDM for transient 1d conditions with linear elements for specific diffusion equation:

the problem is that I am using different, nonlinear functions describing diffusion constant D(x) and reaction rate R(s).
    The diffusion parameter is dependent on position along x and in general case is a function with non-continuous dD(x)/dx at some points. I am using average value of diffusion parameter for each linear element but the solution seems to be not right. I think that is the problem, because when I use constant D everything looks all right. Especially plot of d2s/dx2 is very wired.
    What I am doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2007 #2

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Wired as in wire-frame plot? Or is that "weird"?
  4. Nov 23, 2007 #3
    'wired' as strange. it has to many bumps. should be less compicated in places where D is changing
  5. Nov 28, 2007 #4

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

Gentle hint

So, weird as in "strange"? Too many bumps? Less complicated? And what is FDM? "Finite difference method", perchance? Is your diffusion equation
    \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = f(x) \, \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}+ g(u)
    where u is an unknown function of x,t and f,g are known functions of one variable, and where f is continuous but only piecewise differentiable? You hinted at initial conditions--- what are they?
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?