Express a complex number in the certesian form

In summary, the Cartesian form of a complex number is a representation that expresses a complex number in terms of its real and imaginary parts. To convert a complex number to Cartesian form, you simply write the real part and the imaginary part together, separated by a plus sign. A complex number can also be expressed in polar form, but Cartesian form is often preferred for calculations. To add or subtract complex numbers in Cartesian form, you combine the real and imaginary parts separately. Expressing a complex number in Cartesian form allows for easier understanding, manipulation, and visualization on the complex plane.
HWU

Homework Statement

4 45^0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
HWU said:

Homework Statement

4 45^0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You need to make an attempt yourself first, before asking for help.

RGV

1. What is the Cartesian form of a complex number?

The Cartesian form of a complex number is a representation that expresses a complex number in terms of its real and imaginary parts, usually in the form a + bi, where a represents the real part and bi represents the imaginary part multiplied by the imaginary unit i.

2. How is a complex number converted to Cartesian form?

To convert a complex number to Cartesian form, you can simply write the real part and the imaginary part together, separated by a plus sign. For example, if the complex number is 3 + 4i, its Cartesian form would be 3 + 4i.

3. Can a complex number only be expressed in Cartesian form?

No, a complex number can also be expressed in polar form, which uses the modulus (or absolute value) and argument (or angle) of the complex number. However, Cartesian form is often preferred for performing calculations and operations with complex numbers.

4. How do you add or subtract complex numbers in Cartesian form?

To add or subtract complex numbers in Cartesian form, you simply combine the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, to add 3 + 4i and 5 + 2i, you would add 3 + 5 = 8 for the real parts and 4 + 2 = 6i for the imaginary parts, resulting in the sum 8 + 6i.

5. What are the benefits of expressing a complex number in Cartesian form?

Expressing a complex number in Cartesian form allows for easier understanding and manipulation of the number. It also allows for easier visualization of the number on the complex plane, where the real part represents the horizontal axis and the imaginary part represents the vertical axis.