Expressing a ratio as a fraction, decimal and percentage

In summary, Jing set a goal of hitting 9 home runs.When the season was over,she had hit 12 home runs.Expressing a ratio as a fraction, deciaml and percentage.
iamthecosmos
Hello, can anyone help please? Many thanks!

'Jing set a goal of hitting 9 home runs.When the season was over,she had hit 12 home runs.Express the portion of her goal Jing reached as a fraction,a decimal,and a percent.Round to the nearest whole percent.'

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Expressing a ratio as a fraction, deciaml and percentage

Hello and welcome to MHB, iamthecosmos. (Wave)

I have moved your post into its own thread. We ask that new questions be posted in new threads, as this is much better for site organization, and ensures you get help in the most timely fashion.

We also expect our users to show what they have tried, or give their thoughts on how they think they should begin. This way our helpers have a better idea where you are in trying to solve the problem.

Can you post what you've tried so far or your thoughts on how to begin?

hi!

my feeling is that it should be 133%, or 1.33 (decimal)? that seems easy enough, unless I'm missing smth obvious? but the fraction is too tough for me, sorry

iamthecosmos said:
hi!

my feeling is that it should be 133%, or 1.33 (decimal)? that seems easy enough, unless I'm missing smth obvious? but the fraction is too tough for me, sorry

You are correct in what you have posted so far (as long as rounding the decimal to two places is okay...I would write it as the repeating decimal $1.\overline{3}$ just to avoid rounding).

How did you obtain that figure? You likely are right on the verge of being able to write the fraction...:)

thank you for making me work!
so...the difference between 9 and 12 is 3, which is a third of 9, so that explains the 133% and 1.33.
Fractions are more difficult for me, mainly because i haven't done them in years, and am not sure how to write/express them.
12/9? 4/3?

iamthecosmos said:
thank you for making me work!
so...the difference between 9 and 12 is 3, which is a third of 9, so that explains the 133% and 1.33.
Fractions are more difficult for me, mainly because i haven't done them in years, and am not sure how to write/express them.
12/9? 4/3?

Yes, you are correct! (Yes)

We take the number of actual home runs and divide by the goal number of home runs to get the fraction $F$ of the goal that was met and then reduce:

\(\displaystyle F=\frac{\text{actual home runs}}{\text{goal number of home runs}}=\frac{12}{9}=\frac{4\cdot\cancel{3}}{3\cdot\cancel{3}}=\frac{4}{3}\)

Thank you for your help, very kind of you. Have a good evening

Related to Expressing a ratio as a fraction, decimal and percentage

1. What is a ratio?

A ratio is a comparison between two quantities. It is expressed as a fraction, with the first quantity being the numerator and the second quantity being the denominator.

2. How do you express a ratio as a fraction?

To express a ratio as a fraction, simply write the first quantity as the numerator and the second quantity as the denominator. For example, if the ratio is 2:5, the fraction would be 2/5.

3. How do you convert a ratio to a decimal?

To convert a ratio to a decimal, divide the first quantity by the second quantity. For example, if the ratio is 2:5, the decimal would be 2 ÷ 5 = 0.4.

4. How do you convert a ratio to a percentage?

To convert a ratio to a percentage, first convert it to a decimal and then multiply by 100. For example, if the ratio is 2:5, the decimal is 0.4 and the percentage would be 0.4 x 100 = 40%.

5. Can a ratio be expressed as a mixed number?

Yes, a ratio can be expressed as a mixed number. If the ratio is not already in its simplest form, you can simplify it and then express it as a mixed number.