Extended tables of Laplace transforms

In summary, the Laplace transform is a mathematical technique that simplifies the analysis of linear time-invariant systems. There are many useful transforms and properties, and a basic table of common transforms is available. Additionally, there are more extensive tables and resources, such as the one provided by MRTry, that can be helpful for further understanding and application of the Laplace transform.
Muddyrunner
I'm looking for "extended" tables of Laplace transforms i.e. ones which have examples beyond the basics commonly shown in tables. I have already linked to this one in another thread:

http://www.me.unm.edu/~starr/teaching/me380/Laplace.pdf

which is a good indicator of what I am looking for. Any more like this out there that people know about? I have tried Googling, of course, but the number of hits returned is huge.

Regards,

MR

Physics news on Phys.org
Try here: http://eqworld.ipmnet.ru/en/auxiliary/aux-inttrans.htm

The Laplace transform is a mathematical technique used in engineering, physics, and mathematics to simplify the analysis of linear time-invariant systems. It converts a function of time into a function of a complex variable, s. Here's a basic Laplace transform table that provides some common transforms:

1. Basic Functions:
    • Laplace Transform of a constant:L{1} = 1/s
    • Laplace Transform of a time delay, e.g., e^(-at)u(t):L{e^(-at)u(t)} = 1 / (s + a), where u(t) is the unit step function.
    • Laplace Transform of a sine or cosine function:L{sin(ωt)} = ω / (s^2 + ω^2)L{cos(ωt)} = s / (s^2 + ω^2)
  2. Time Scaling:
    • If F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(t), then L{f(at)} = (1/a)F(s/a)
  3. Linearity:
    • If F1(s) and F2(s) are the Laplace transforms of f1(t) and f2(t), then L{af1(t) + bf2(t)} = aF1(s) + bF2(s)
  4. Derivatives:
    • Laplace Transform of the derivative of f(t):L{f'(t)} = sF(s) - f(0)
    • Laplace Transform of the n-th derivative of f(t):L{f^(n)(t)} = s^nF(s) - s^(n-1)f(0) - s^(n-2)f'(0) - ... - f^(n-1)(0)
  5. Integration:
    • Laplace Transform of the integral of f(t):L{∫[0 to t] f(τ) dτ} = 1/s F(s)
  6. Unit Step Function:
    • Laplace Transform of the unit step function, u(t):L{u(t)} = 1/s
  7. Dirac Delta Function:
    • Laplace Transform of the Dirac delta function, δ(t):L{δ(t)} = 1
  8. Exponential Decay:
    • Laplace Transform of e^(-at)u(t):L{e^(-at)u(t)} = 1 / (s + a)
  9. Shift Theorem:
    • If F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(t), then L{e^(at)f(t)} = F(s - a)
  10. Convolution Theorem:
  • Laplace Transform of the convolution of two functions f(t) and g(t):L{f(t) * g(t)} = F(s)G(s), where * represents convolution.
Please note that this is not an exhaustive table, and there are many more Laplace transforms and properties that can be useful for solving various problems in mathematics and engineering. The Laplace transform is a powerful tool for analyzing linear time-invariant systems, differential equations, and other mathematical and scientific problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, AlephZero - some there I had never seen before.

1. What are Laplace transforms and why are they useful?

Laplace transforms are mathematical tools used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. They are useful because they allow us to solve differential equations and analyze systems in a simpler algebraic form.

2. How do I use extended tables of Laplace transforms?

To use an extended table of Laplace transforms, you must first identify the function you want to transform. Then, use the table to find the corresponding transform and apply any necessary rules or properties to simplify the expression.

3. What is the difference between a regular and an extended table of Laplace transforms?

A regular table of Laplace transforms only includes the most common and basic transforms, while an extended table includes additional transforms that may be less common but still useful in certain situations.

4. Can extended tables of Laplace transforms be used for all functions?

No, extended tables of Laplace transforms are not comprehensive and may not have a corresponding transform for every function. In these cases, other methods may need to be used to find the transform.

5. Are there any limitations to using extended tables of Laplace transforms?

Extended tables of Laplace transforms may have limitations when dealing with more complex functions or systems. It is important to understand the properties and limitations of the transforms in order to use them effectively.