Extragalactic Planets Observed Using Microlensing

In summary, the authors used microlensing to observe a gravitationally lensed quasar RXJ 1131–1231 at a lens redshift of z = 0.295 or 3.8 billion lt-yr away. They found that a population of unbound planets between stars, ranging from Moon to Jupiter masses, is the most plausible explanation for the frequent Fe Kα line energy shifts observed. This is because planets bound to stars would have little impact on the magnification map due to their location within the Einstein ring of their parent stars.
jim mcnamara
Mentor
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/aaa5fb/meta (abstract).

Using microlensing the authors observed (my bolding):
We show that a population of unbound planets between stars with masses ranging from Moon to Jupiter masses is needed to explain the frequent Fe Kα line energy shifts observed in the gravitationally lensed quasar RXJ 1131–1231 at a lens redshift of z = 0.295 or 3.8 billion lt-yr away.

Does someone know the reason why unbound planets are the only reasonable way to explain their data? This is not my field, but looks like a big stretch to me, a priori.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Seems like a very long bow to me.

jim mcnamara said:
http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/aaa5fb/meta (abstract).

Using microlensing the authors observed (my bolding):Does someone know the reason why unbound planets are the only reasonable way to explain their data? This is not my field, but looks like a big stretch to me, a priori.

Here is a free link to the paper

planets bound to stars will alter
the magnification map little because they are located far inside of the Einstein ring of their parent
stars

Likes jim mcnamara and fresh_42

What is microlensing and how does it help in observing extragalactic planets?

Microlensing is a phenomenon in which a massive object (such as a planet) acts as a lens and magnifies the light of a more distant object. In the case of extragalactic planets, this allows us to detect the presence of planets orbiting stars in other galaxies, which would otherwise be too faint to observe directly. This technique also allows us to gather information about the planet's mass, distance from its star, and orbital period.

What are the limitations of using microlensing to observe extragalactic planets?

One limitation of using microlensing is that it is a rare and unpredictable event, as it requires precise alignment between the planet, the star, and the observer. This makes it difficult to gather large amounts of data on a single planet. Additionally, microlensing can only detect planets that are relatively close to their host stars, so it may miss planets that are further out in the system.

How do scientists determine the presence of a planet using microlensing?

When a planet passes in front of its host star, it causes a slight change in the magnification of the star's light. This is known as a microlensing event, and by analyzing the light curve of the event, scientists can determine the presence of a planet and gather information about its properties.

What types of planets have been observed using microlensing?

So far, most of the planets observed using microlensing are gas giant planets, similar to Jupiter and Saturn in our own solar system. However, smaller, rocky planets have also been detected, and it is believed that microlensing has the potential to detect a wide range of planet sizes and types.

How does the observation of extragalactic planets using microlensing contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By observing extragalactic planets, we can expand our knowledge of planet formation and evolution, as well as the diversity of planetary systems in our universe. It also allows us to study the distribution and abundance of planets in other galaxies, which can help us better understand the conditions necessary for life to exist in the universe.