F1 Enthusiasts: Who's Better - Alonso or Hamilton?

• Thread starter ank_gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamilton
In summary, the conversation mainly discusses the ongoing debate between F1 enthusiasts about who is better between Alonso and Hamilton. Some believe that Hamilton is the better driver due to his impressive performances, while others argue that Alonso will come out on top due to his experience and strategy. The conversation also touches on other drivers like Raikkonen and Massa, and their chances of becoming champion. The overall tone is biased and passionate, with some playful banter and arguments between fans of different drivers.
Kurdt said:
Alonso and Hammy aren't that far apart throughout the season. Alonso did have the disadvantage of not having driven on bridgestones though.

If you're talking super-rookies that has to be Vettel this season. And Hamilton's driving was atrocious behind the safety car. It was only the fact that Ecclestone loves him that he escaped any penalty.

So now you try to compare a two times world champions skill with a rookie, how many rookies have achieved what Hamilton has, either Hamilton is a brilliant driver or Alonso is below average with a better car than other teams.

Physics news on Phys.org
or Hamilton was born into the world of F1 with a silver spoon in his mouth. Where other drivers have had to claw their way up with little or no financial backing, Hamilton had the best equipment paid for and tweaked by one of the top F1 teams. It's just not as miraculous as people are making out. Now Vettel is an excellent driver. What he has done in the Toro Rosso is rather remarkable.

Kurdt said:
or Hamilton was born into the world of F1 with a silver spoon in his mouth. Where other drivers have had to claw their way up with little or no financial backing, Hamilton had the best equipment paid for and tweaked by one of the top F1 teams. It's just not as miraculous as people are making out. Now Vettel is an excellent driver. What he has done in the Toro Rosso is rather remarkable.

It is the over all package that wins in F1, money equals MPH, Down force, handling,
driver skill is using these things, if a rookie can give a two times world champion a run for the money, more points until the last race, i would say the rookie is lucky to be in the right team at the right time with the right skills.

i have to agree with kurdt on this, hamilton is indeed a boy with a silver spoon. he had the best anyone could get to the road to F1. others had to make their way.

ank_gl said:
i have to agree with kurdt on this, hamilton is indeed a boy with a silver spoon. he had the best anyone could get to the road to F1. others had to make their way.

Did Hamilton have to work less hard for his training? he was single minded and had his eyes set on F1 from a very early age, there is nothing to stop others following this path.

It's just that Hamilton found a mentor (sort of), at a very young age, in Ron Denis. Alonso had to start from the bottom, at a team like Minardi, before he could find himself winning championships.

everyone does not get a top team like mclaren in their rookie season

ank_gl said:
everyone does not get a top team like mclaren in their rookie season

We could argue favoritism until the cows come home, F1 is drenched in it.

whatever

ALONSO all the way!:-p:biggrin::-p

Kimi Raikkonen 2007 World Champion! Well done Kimi!

Woohoo!

Commiseration to Hamilton.

hehe kimi won, yippy
who could have thought, kimi had the slimmest chance of making it, but he did it. kudos to kimi. i can't stop the celebrations here. yipppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyy:))

though i am sorry for hami, he had it all under his feet in his rookie season. anyways it is good for him, had he won it, there would have been nothing left for him to conquer

stupid me started the thread as fernando vs lewis, :)) but kimi won

Well it would have been different had McLaren done what they were supposed to do and backed Alonso. They would have had at least the drivers championship.

mclaren would have had the driver's had they backed anyone of the two..
supporting both of them to the driver's was their wrong doing

Kurdt said:
Well it would have been different had McLaren done what they were supposed to do and backed Alonso. They would have had at least the drivers championship.

ank_gl said:
mclaren would have had the driver's had they backed anyone of the two..
supporting both of them to the driver's was their wrong doing

Wouldn't that have made matters worse for them?

In other news, we will have a flashy new night race next season, while Nurburgring is out of the calender. :frown:

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2007/10/7040.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nurburgring isn't a great loss in my opinion. I just wish they'd get the Nordschleife back on the calendar. There are going to be 3 street races next year as well. That should be interesting.

neutrino said:
Wouldn't that have made matters worse for them?

yes that certainly would have added to the fire, but then Mclaren had two champs, that is always a problem. you can't have two people fighting for the same title from the same team. competitors are supposed to be aggressive towards each other, that's how they fight. and when the two competitors were in same garage, garage wasnt a happy place to be in

I don't think there would be problems in a team with two competing drivers, unless one, or both, is an immature brat. :wink:

like alonso in mclaren?? or lewis in mclaren??

Obviously Lewis. If they'd kept him on the leash properly alonso wouldn't have been penalised in Hungary and he would have won the race and the drivers championship. :biggrin:

enough.
i don't like alonso a bit, he always keeps complaining about the team and lewis, he aint a team man.
last season too, he complained about giancarlo fisichella.

Bring back Hakkinen! :biggrin:

The commentators were actually discussing this situation at the last race. What if Mika could return to the driver's seat and play a sort of supporting role/mentor to Hamilton.

Yeah, right! :rolleyes:

noway, hakkinen aint coming back