1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Factorize: (n^2 + 2n +3 ) / (2n^3 + 5n^2 + 8n +3)

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    I have a really bad time thinking on this:

Factorize:

(n^2 + 2n +3 ) / (2n^3 + 5n^2 + 8n +3) such that we end up with 1/(2n +1).

I might be forgetting how to complete the square or the cube or something but I can not find a way to reduce it.

Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to factor the numerator. Do you know how to set up the two simultaneous equations to figure out the a and b in (n+a)(n+b) = n^2+[a+b]n+[a*b] ?

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3
    Answer

Say for n^2 + 2n + 3 we can write it as (n+1)^2 + 2, so we have that (n+1)(n+1) + 2 = n^2 + 2n + 3

5. Sep 5, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are told that you must wind up with an extra factor of 2x+1 in the denominator. Is it that hard to divide n2 + 2n +3 and 2n3 + 5n2 + 8n +3 by 2n +1?

6. Sep 5, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

LOL, that's so much better a way to start. I suggested the brute strength way to start, but spaced the alternate constant form. Good stuff jetoso.

7. Sep 6, 2006 #6
    I got it

Well, I think I did not pay too much attention to this problem, it is very straight forward by the way, look:

2n^3 + 5n^2 + 8n + 3 = (2n + 1) (n^2 + 2n + 3)

Thus, since the numerator is n^2 + 2n + 3, then it follows that:

(n^2 + 2n + 3)/(2n + 1) (n^2 + 2n + 3) = 1/(2n + 1)

Sorry to bother you about this.
    Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?