Failed an online color vision test, retesting under better conditions
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
48 replies · 7K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 12,179
- 186
23 here.
I'll bet those are bogus or random, or people deliberately trying to get it wrong. Note the final score page considers 99 to be high.
DaveC426913 said:Actually, worst scores are in the 1000's.
I'll bet those are bogus or random, or people deliberately trying to get it wrong. Note the final score page considers 99 to be high.
tribdog
- 779
- 17
I took it again and got an 8 and I can't figure out what I got wrong.
Science Advisor
- 3,014
- 42
I found the same thing. Scanning up and down the row just above or below it, without actually focusing on the row, seemed to make the odd balls jump out. I got a 3.Chi Meson said:I found that if you look a little off to the side, like looking for a faint star, I could determine the colors better. My center of vision started to jitter around on me.

- 12,179
- 186
That's weird, I thought the look-to-the-side trick worked only for night time (non-color) vision. Color receptors are densest in the center of the field of vision ... I think.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 1,891
- 11
It worked for me, I think, because I was sensing the difference in brightness. In each case the tones went from a lighter to darker color. At least it appeared so to me.Redbelly98 said:That's weird, I thought the look-to-the-side trick worked only for night time (non-color) vision. Color receptors are densest in the center of the field of vision ... I think.
- 12,179
- 186
Well, I believe you and Q_Goest. I'm just surprised ... and too lazy to arrange those blocks all over again and check it out for myself 
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
I got a perfect score, though had to tilt the monitor a bit to see the colors correctly. But, I'm also one of those people who can actually see the differences in colors among all those paint chips, when most people just look at them and say, "How many names do they have for one shade of beige?!" 
Really? I didn't think it took that long. Most were pretty easy to line up. Just a couple in the middles would get tough after staring at that row too long, but then I just jumped to the next row, let my eyes reset a bit, and went back and the outliers jumped out pretty quickly.
DaveC426913 said:Personally, I think it is as much a test of bloody-headed persistence as it is of colour acuity...
Really? I didn't think it took that long. Most were pretty easy to line up. Just a couple in the middles would get tough after staring at that row too long, but then I just jumped to the next row, let my eyes reset a bit, and went back and the outliers jumped out pretty quickly.
rootX
- 481
- 4
Moonbear said:I got a perfect score, though had to tilt the monitor a bit to see the colors correctly. But, I'm also one of those people who can actually see the differences in colors among all those paint chips, when most people just look at them and say, "How many names do they have for one shade of beige?!" :biggrin
What's perfect score?
tribdog
- 779
- 17
100, right?
mcknia07
- 284
- 7
Wrong, guess again...
rootX
- 481
- 4
tribdog said:100, right?
I got >60.. and I thought I did better than people who got like <10. But seems like perfect is 0
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,859
- 6
Redbelly98 said:That's weird, I thought the look-to-the-side trick worked only for night time (non-color) vision. Color receptors are densest in the center of the field of vision ... I think.
Do you really need to know the colour to compare hues? While the colour receptors are densest at the fovea they are not as sensitive as rods.
- 12,179
- 186
Kurdt said:Do you really need to know the colour to compare hues? While the colour receptors are densest at the fovea they are not as sensitive as rods.
Makes sense.
tribdog said:I took it again and got an 8 and I can't figure out what I got wrong.
Keep trying! I'm sure you'll get a perfect ... er, 100 ... eventually.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
rootX said:What's perfect score?
0 wrong...but it just says something like, "Congratulations, you have perfect color vision," without giving a score. It takes some reading beyond that to learn that 0 = a perfect score.
I wonder how it scores though. If you just switch two blocks, is that one wrong or 2 wrong? Can you get only one wrong? Does it add points for how far off that one block is from the correct position?
I do know one thing for certain...I would never paint a house in greenish-pink or pinkish-green.
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 11,959
- 54
Perhaps this is your problem. Hues refer to colors. Tints and shades refer to lighter or darker (i.e., take the same color and add white or black to it). These weren't going from brighter to darker, they were blends of varying proportions of the two colors at either end of the palette provided.Kurdt said:Do you really need to know the colour to compare hues?
lewdtenant
- 63
- 1
wow, i got a perfect score on the first try.
i do a lot of graphic design on my computer and have even made my own color wheels (so to speak) so i knew i was going to do well. i was just surprised that i was perfect.
i do a lot of graphic design on my computer and have even made my own color wheels (so to speak) so i knew i was going to do well. i was just surprised that i was perfect.
binzing
- 281
- 0
He he...104
Similar threads
Can You Pass the Online Color Vision Test?
- EvilScientist
- · Replies 81 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 81