Faith - did it evolve or is it natural?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have difficulty believing that the person who loved him most would outright lie about the events of his deathbed. I see no reason to disbelieve her.
Agreed. I must have heard something being promoted by some religious group.

I bet he feels pretty silly now. :biggrin:

Last edited:
"It ain't supposed to make sense. It's faith. Faith is something that you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."

-- Archie Bunker

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
As we looked deeply into each others eyes, it was with a shared conviction that our wondrous life together was ending forever.
I shared something like that with my brother the last time I saw him 4 days before he died, but in my case, it was a realization that I wasn't going to have him around for another 30 or 40 years. For him, it was the realization that he wasn't going to be around for his son who was 3 years old at the time, or his wife.

Faith probably evolved when the human brain developed the ability to think and to worry faster than it could learn and get the answers. Those folks, particularly scientists, who develop deductive reasoning and critical thinking are perhaps less likely to accept something on faith.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When we say faith, do we mean faith in the supernatural as well as faith in people?

Taking a fictional example: If I believe in an afterlife because I have faith in my sister who says that she was visited by our late grandmother, is it really faith? It might be considered a logical weighting of anecdotal evidence based on a lifetime of accumulated knowledge of my sister.

Is faith in dentists and brake mechanics justifed? :biggrin:

Last edited:
The Word Faith& What it Defines

So did it evolve or is it natural, i can think of many acts that would test my faith.
There are to meany things the word faith is used for and even more ways that its used in. but to even ask a question i hope people know what action the word faith defines.
But i can tell you its better to not to know. Its a point less concept that a person must give a point to. Its better to trust the nature that you see than have trust in your faith of what you think it is or dont think it is. you would be missing to whole point of life and that the point you make...the one you say or make. And to speak with reasonable thought faith wont feed you or make shelter for you. so Faith is trust in your thoughts or the thoughts that you cant understand. Faith isnt action its just you reacting to the things that create a conflict with your faith... just be happy and eat and sleep :D

I saw this and it was too good to pass up being an atheist.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1496/93220614yy4.png [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I must have heard something being promoted by some religious group.

I bet he feels pretty silly now. :biggrin:
I don't see what he would have to feel silly about, no more so than anyone else. If there is an afterlife then I don't see how anyone can go into it expecting their worldview to be correct. I would imagine that people who had no tolerance of ideas (fundamentalists) would feel particularly silly. Sagan was agnostic, and a good man; one of the best. He loved the truth.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It was just a joke. :biggrin:

There is an old joke about not acting too surprised about who you see when you get to heaven because there will certainly be those who are more surprised to see you.

If I wake up dead and there is no afterlife I will be very surprised.