Family food consumption by country

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary: America is one of the most obese countries in the world because people don't exercise as much as people in other countries.
gravenewworld
I found this link pretty interesting:

http://www.6die.com/2010/07/family-food-consumption-by-country.html

No wonder why America has an obesity problem if your typical American family is eating that much processed food.

Physics news on Phys.org
gravenewworld said:
I found this link pretty interesting:

http://www.6die.com/2010/07/family-food-consumption-by-country.html

No wonder why America has an obesity problem if your typical American family is eating that much processed food.

There's nothing inherently wrong with processed food. Just because it's in a package doesn't mean it will make you fat if you eat it. If you put an apple in a bag, does it suddenly gain 10 grams of fat?

People also say eating healthy is expensive, but as you go down the list, it gets cheaper and cheaper with less and less "processed" food.

Good greif the last family compared to the first family.

How can a family of four spend $500 on food for one week?

Monique said:

If you eat outside each day, it costs about 20 CAD per day. In a week =20*7=140$ (for single person)!

Family of four = 140*4 = 560$

Monique said:

Cost of living may be higher and the German family clearly looks like they are eating higher quality food. It even looks like all the meat came directly from a butcher. I can spend $200-300 just for myself for 2 weeks of food when I buy high quality stuff.

Plus it looks like they have a lot of alcohol on their table

Office_Shredder said:
Plus it looks like they have a lot of alcohol on their table
Indeed, that's also what I was thinking. I don't see any high-quality food on the table (although they might be buying organic produce and meat), besides all the bottled (alcoholic) drinks.

The original story is in 'time' see http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1626519_1373664,00.html

One also has to factor amount of exercise people do in those countries.

What is the purpose of studying family food consumption by country?

The purpose of studying family food consumption by country is to understand the patterns and trends in food consumption among different countries. This can help identify areas of improvement and develop strategies for promoting healthy eating habits.

How is family food consumption measured in different countries?

Family food consumption is typically measured through surveys and questionnaires that collect data on the types and amounts of food consumed by households. Some countries also use food balance sheets and national dietary surveys to gather information on food consumption patterns.

What factors influence family food consumption in different countries?

There are many factors that can influence family food consumption, including cultural traditions, economic status, availability and accessibility of food, government policies and regulations, and food marketing and advertising.

What are some common trends in family food consumption by country?

Some common trends in family food consumption include a decrease in home-cooked meals and an increase in processed and fast food consumption, a shift towards Westernized diets, and an increase in obesity and diet-related diseases in developing countries.

How can studying family food consumption by country benefit public health?

Studying family food consumption can help identify areas where public health interventions may be needed, such as promoting healthier food choices and reducing food insecurity. It can also inform policies and programs aimed at improving overall nutrition and reducing diet-related diseases.