Favorite Music Groups or Songs

In summary: Awesome! They were great when they performed here (Singapore) for the first time earlier in the year, as part of their Heritage tour. I don't quite like most of their new album, but they saved the heavier, older stuff for the later part of the set, which was perfect 'cos we were all warmed up. Caught two picks (hooray for static electricity! :biggrin:) when they were thrown by Fredrik Akesson. Didn't catch the one Mikael Akerfeldt threw after licking it, and maybe that's lucky! :tongue2:
claytonh4
I'm curious as to what all the science lovers on physics forums like to listen to. Feel free to throw in whatever styles or genres you like as well.

Science news on Phys.org
I like metal. My favourite current band is probably Opeth. Progressive death metal from Sweden. I also love Amon Amarth, a melodic death metal band, also from Sweden, and Fleshgod Apocalypse, a technical death metal band from Italy.

I've liked metal for a long time (decades), so I'm excited about Megadeth (an old school act that's survived till now) coming to my neck of the woods (Singapore) in less than a month's time. Needless, to say, I have a ticket! :biggrin:

I also love many other genres of music, especially classical music. Except for opera. Really hate that, for some reason.

Curious3141 said:
I like metal. My favourite current band is probably Opeth. Progressive death metal from Sweden. I also love Amon Amarth, a melodic death metal band, also from Sweden, and Fleshgod Apocalypse, a technical death metal band from Italy.

I've liked metal for a long time (decades), so I'm excited about Megadeth (an old school act that's survived till now) coming to my neck of the woods (Singapore) in less than a month's time. Needless, to say, I have a ticket! :biggrin:

I also love many other genres of music, especially classical music. Except for opera. Really hate that, for some reason.

No way! Metal is my favorite as well but I thought on these forums I'd be a loner on that haha. Thrash metal specifically is some of my favorite especially Slayer, Exodus, Testament, and Metallica (even though they're not strictly metal anymore) as well as some industrial stuff like Rammstein. Good to know someone here shares those tastes in music haha.

claytonh4 said:
No way! Metal is my favorite as well but I thought on these forums I'd be a loner on that haha. Thrash metal specifically is some of my favorite especially Slayer, Exodus, Testament, and Metallica (even though they're not strictly metal anymore) as well as some industrial stuff like Rammstein. Good to know someone here shares those tastes in music haha.

On the contrary, I think it's fairly common here. Check out the thread on best songs - quite a few metal, or at least hard rock songs featured there.

I do not like music much , so obviously do not have any particular group or band as favourite .
Every time I open youtube I always end up wasting time.

Curious3141 said:

Hey! I'm a diehard Opeth fan too. :D

I love progressive rock/metal. The Scandinavian metal scene is the best in the world.

I also love Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Alice In Chains, God Is an Astronaut, Machine Head, Godsmack, Tool etc. :D

ViolentCorpse said:
Hey! I'm a diehard Opeth fan too. :D

Awesome! They were great when they performed here (Singapore) for the first time earlier in the year, as part of their Heritage tour. I don't quite like most of their new album, but they saved the heavier, older stuff for the later part of the set, which was perfect 'cos we were all warmed up. Caught two picks (hooray for static electricity! :biggrin:) when they were thrown by Fredrik Akesson. Didn't catch the one Mikael Akerfeldt threw after licking it, and maybe that's lucky! :tongue2:

With regard to my lukewarm reaction to Heritage, I actually love their acoustic stuff on Damnation, so it's not like their soft output doesn't wow me. But I feel they seriously lost their way with Heritage, must be the Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) influence. PT are a good band, but not my speed, y'know?

I love progressive rock/metal. The Scandinavian metal scene is the best in the world.

Yes. From Sweden, I adore Opeth and Amon Amarth, really, really love Dark Tranquillity (Gothenburg melodeath) and like Arch Enemy (Angela Gossow & co. came here even more recently than Opeth, but I missed that show). From Finland, I like Kalmah. Fantastic music coming out of Scandinavia, for sure. The only serious blight on the Scandinavian scene are the racist NSBM bands, and I'm including Burzum here, even though it's not strictly NSBM - because of Varg Vikernes' views. Racism has no place in metal, IMO, and any bands that go around calling their potential fanbase "subhumans" can rot in hell for all I care.

I also love Porcupine Tree, Anathema, Alice In Chains, God Is an Astronaut, Machine Head, Godsmack, Tool etc. :D

Of those, I adore Tool (another band I'll definitely be going to see if they ever come to Asia). Maynard James Keenan is a genius. I like Machine Head (especially The Blackening, but I haven't heard the newest album). I haven't heard anything new from Alice In Chains, but I used to dig their older stuff, though it's just light-grunge.

We've been having quite a few great metal bands come to Singapore of late. Last year, Maiden held its, well, maiden concert here (of course, I was there!). Then Morbid Angel. This year, it was Opeth, followed by Judas Priest/Lamb of God, then Dream Theater (second or third show here, but the first without Mike Portnoy), and now, Megadeth (their second show here, in two days' time, and I've got tickets!).

I'm so glad I caught Metallica when they first came here - in 1993 - for their Black Album tour. Back then, it was still cool to like them. I don't think I'll even be going to see them if they come again, they've become so lame.

Oh my, you're so lucky. I hope I get to see all these great bands someday too.

I'm not a big fan of Heritage either. I really like a few songs but, it doesn't sound like Opeth. I really hope they go back to being what they truly are. I was expecting something more like Watershed when Heritage was coming out, but it was entirely something else.

I just ADORE Watershed. :D

zeppelin and pink floyd > everything else in the universe

Life long RUSH fan here.

ViolentCorpse said:
Oh my, you're so lucky. I hope I get to see all these great bands someday too.

Back from Megadeth - good show, but the setlist was a little shorter than I expected. They didn't perform "Guns, Drugs and Money" and "High Speed Dirt", which I was looking forward to. Oh well, at least they did their greats like "Hangar 18", "Holy Wars" and "In My Darkest Hour".

Are you from Pakistan? Do you get foreign acts coming there? If you don't, is it because of governmental prohibition? Is there a local metal scene?

I know lots of guys who are into metal in India - heck they find their way here to Singapore to follow the bands when they come here. Lots of big name acts play gigs in India as well, so you could always go check them out there. I know India has a thriving metal scene too - just listen to bands like Kryptos.

I'm not a big fan of Heritage either. I really like a few songs but, it doesn't sound like Opeth. I really hope they go back to being what they truly are. I was expecting something more like Watershed when Heritage was coming out, but it was entirely something else.

True. My favourite song (in fact the only one I really like) off Heritage is "Folklore".

I just ADORE Watershed. :D

It's a good album, with a few great songs - I love Coil/Heir Apparent (I think of them as one piece because of the way the beautiful, melancholic Coil leads into the absolutely brutal Heir Apparent). I also love Hessian Peel and like Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega.

But, honestly, Watershed simply can't hold a candle to their earlier releases. My favourite will always be Still Life, followed closely by My Arms, Your Hearse. Ghost Reveries, Deliverance and Blackwater Park are all also brilliant. Damnation is a breathtaking acoustic album that's best heard as an extended prelude to the brutal release of Deliverance. Morningrise is also very good, but Orchid is a little too raw for me to really get into it.

Curious3141 said:
Are you from Pakistan? Do you get foreign acts coming there? If you don't, is it because of governmental prohibition? Is there a local metal scene?
Yeah I'm from Pakistan. No foreign acts here unfortunately and no it's not governmental prohibition. It's just the security issues and stuff.

There is a lot of talent here actually, just not the support of the audience. There isn't a single mainstream metal band left here. All of them are underground and a lot of good bands split up because it just didn't work out commercially and no label would sign with them.

I know lots of guys who are into metal in India - heck they find their way here to Singapore to follow the bands when they come here. Lots of big name acts play gigs in India as well, so you could always go check them out there. I know India has a thriving metal scene too - just listen to bands like Kryptos.
Yeah, India has the talent and the audience.

True. My favourite song (in fact the only one I really like) off Heritage is "Folklore".
Same here. :D

But, honestly, Watershed simply can't hold a candle to their earlier releases. My favourite will always be Still Life, followed closely by My Arms, Your Hearse. Ghost Reveries, Deliverance and Blackwater Park are all also brilliant. Damnation is a breathtaking acoustic album that's best heard as an extended prelude to the brutal release of Deliverance. Morningrise is also very good, but Orchid is a little too raw for me to really get into it.
Still Life is awesome, but My Arms, Your Hearse is my least favorite Opeth album. It just doesn't hit me like their other albums do.

Ghost Reveries and Watershed will always be my favorites.

I'm open to all kinds of music. Only genres I don't listen to are R&B and Country, simply because they don't appeal to me.

I remember my first favourite bands were Evanescence and Queen. And then I got into various bands/ artists/ composers like Muse, Coldplay, Radiohead, Kaiser Chiefs, Arctic Monkeys, Blur, Oasis, Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, Gorillaz, Florence + The Machine, Sigur Ros, Rammstein, Daft Punk, deadmau5, Nujabes, Blackmill, Bonobo and the list goes on.

I like it all. Anything from the Tron Legacy soundtrack (Daft Punk) to Blue Grass.

IMP said:
Life long RUSH fan here.

Yeah Rush is awesome! I think they're coming to Dallas soon (that's where I live). I'd love to see them live!

WannabeNewton said:

Quoted for truth! :)

I love all kinds of music, and I like a lot of weird electronic stuff. A few of all time favourites are:

Jimi Hendrix!
Sigur Rós
Mountains In The Sky
Future Sound Of London

WannabeNewton said:

Adyssa said:
Quoted for truth! :)

I love all kinds of music, and I like a lot of weird electronic stuff. A few of all time favourites are:

Jimi Hendrix!...

Add the Grateful Dead and the Who and you have them all...

One Love and My Heart Will go on.

1. What is the most popular music group of all time?

The Beatles are widely considered to be the most popular music group of all time. They have sold over 600 million records worldwide and have had numerous chart-topping hits.

2. What is the most streamed song of all time?

The most streamed song of all time is "Shape of You" by Ed Sheeran, with over 2.7 billion streams on Spotify alone. It was released in 2017 and became an instant hit.

3. Who is the best-selling solo artist of all time?

According to the Guinness World Records, the best-selling solo artist of all time is Elvis Presley, with over 1 billion record sales worldwide. He is often referred to as the "King of Rock and Roll."

4. What is the most covered song of all time?

The most covered song of all time is "Yesterday" by The Beatles, with over 2,200 recorded versions. It was released in 1965 and has been covered by artists from a variety of genres.

5. What is the longest-running number one song on the Billboard Hot 100?

The longest-running number one song on the Billboard Hot 100 is "Old Town Road" by Lil Nas X featuring Billy Ray Cyrus. It spent a record-breaking 19 weeks at the top spot in 2019.