Who is Sigrid? Exploring the Underrated Music of a Young Norwegian Artist

• Thread starter DennisN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary: I don't know what to choose.I like alternative and classic rock with a few random songs sprinkled in.I like this song. Its really cute.This Requiem of Spirit version is too epic for this world.Let's bring back retro 70's!In summary, the very talented 21 year old Norwegian singer and songwriter Sigrid received a DMCA request to take down the previous "Best songs ever" thread, so she started a new one. She says she cannot pick a favorite song or artist, and that there are too many good songs to choose from. She lists some of her favorite songs and performers, including Boston, Japan, and Paul Simon. She finishes the summary by saying that harmony was a creation of the bar
No Bach did not write anything for guitar and even the works commonly ascribed for lute were written for the Lautenwerck, or lute-harpsichord, a keyboard instrument with plucked gut strings

Likes Spinnor and pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org

Last edited:
pinball1970 said:
the OP was favourite "songs" not piece of music
As long as the post contains any type of music, it's fine with me. I'm fine with brief discussions too. I started this thread because the old thread we had, called "Best songs ever", I think, was deleted. That thread and the intention of this thread is to basically be sort of a public jukebox.

And Händel - Sarabande is more than welcome! I like Händel a lot. And Bach too.

pinball1970 said:
DennisN seems to be approaching that number just with Sigred!
Yeah :smile:, it was not so long ago I discovered her, and I get so impressed when I hear and see such a young, natural talent. I hope she gets a good career.

But I have to start posting something else :biggrin:, so here we go,
the US/Texas dream pop band Cigarettes After Sex:

Last edited:
BWV said:
No Bach did not write anything for guitar and even the works commonly ascribed for lute were written for the Lautenwerck
Amazing, and great trying to keep up with the notes! Bach was something else, genius does not cover it. If aliens visited and they said take me to your leader I would say hang on just let me play you this first. Out would come the Bach. Speaking of Lute though. Jan Akkerman is from a band called Focus- amazing players

Likes BWV
ZapperZ said:
there was one of the most highly-underrated band: Japan.

I hated the 80s as I was a teenager discovering the 60s and 70s during that time but Japan did one a track I really did like

Likes PeroK
ZapperZ said:
Let's bring back retro 70's!

As requested

Likes david2
I like Eminem. He is still very huge!

Or maybe Lil peep

(PJ Harvey) x 3

Last edited:
he gets the words wrong and purposefully changes them at another point. The song is ok the performance mind blowing. If you don't like it you are a heathen

This too

The sync goes out but it does not matter- ok ill leave it now as I am hogging a little

Likes david2

Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
This too

Will not play for me, I get this message, "This video contains content from elvis. It is not available in your country."

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
I love the intricate timing in Yes songs.

Likes WWGD, david2, pinball1970 and 1 other person

Likes Spinnor

Likes pinball1970
Spinnor said:
Will not play for me, I get this message, "This video contains content from elvis. It is not available in your country."

Try and get a version if you can there must be one out there - it part of the Elvis comeback special 1968

Elvis got slated for different things but the bottom line was he was a damn good singer

He didn’t do enough stuff like this and watching him sing it you get the impression be was invested in the message

I am not into poetry or lyrics particularly but I like to think he read the words and was moved by them

The arrangement is a little over the top with all the brass and stuff but it works, great track amazing performance.

Likes Spinnor
Fig Neutron said:
I love the intricate timing in Yes songs.

Yes are brilliant

Likes Fig Neutron
Alhamdu lila!

Edit: All you need is alif.
Peace,
Fred

Likes david2
Spinnor said:

Some good tracks, I am using this thread as a play list while I read through the questions! Great stuff!

Likes DennisN, david2, pinball1970 and 1 other person
Spinnor said:

Late 60s early 70s definitely a peak for me and Hendrix absolutely typified thatI always preferred singers like Sandy Denny and Googie Copola (AIR) rather than singers Janis- I found her a bit shouty (Same with Joe Cocker) But I get why they are iconicBeatles, Stones, Doors, Hendrix, Purple, Focus, Led Zep, Crosby Stills and Nash, Yes, Jethro Tull, amazing playing and exciting creative music.

Likes Fig Neutron and Spinnor
The 60s were great but there were some bright lights in the 70s

Likes david2
A very beautiful instrumental piece from the electronica duo Infected Mushroom:

And a new track from Sigrid, whose first album I am eagerly awaiting... :smile:
Sigrid - Raw (video with live vocals)

The released song is here.

Regarding my first post in this thread, I found out some fun stuff regarding her:
BBC Article said:
"it was also the song (note: Don't Kill My Vibe) that earned her a deal with Island Records, who decided to sign Sigrid after just one listen."
[...]
"The EP's final track, Dynamite, is entirely different. Not so much an acoustic ballad as tear-drenched companion piece to Adele's Someone Like You, it is a startlingly intimate song which was, incredibly, recorded in a single take." (my boldings)

Source: Sigrid: Approaching pop from left-of-centre (BBC News)

Last edited:
Likes david2
The powerful song Bachelorette by Björk, from the excellent album Homogenic, one of my favorite albums ever.
Live at Jools Holland 1997:

Original song is here.

Likes Voq

Likes davenn, pinball1970 and DennisN
Ridiculously good vocals... which gave me goosebumps at 3:10-, I am not kidding :woot:.
"Everybody knows" (written by Leonard Cohen, performed by Sigrid)

Original song by Leonard Cohen is here.

Likes Fig Neutron
DennisN said:
Ridiculously good vocals... which gave me goosebumps at 3:10-, I am not kidding :woot:.
"Everybody knows" (written by Leonard Cohen, performed by Sigrid)

Original song by Leonard Cohen is here.

I just watched the movie last weekend. I love this song.

Likes DennisN
There are so many songs I want to post.

Likes Spinnor and pinball1970
Fig Neutron said:
@Fig Neutron, I got "This video is not available" when I tried to listen to the song you posted above...

Try this one.

Likes DennisN and david2
Fig Neutron said:

If they are as good as this one post them sir!

DennisN said:
And a new track from Sigrid, whose first album I am eagerly awaiting... :smile:
Sigrid - Raw

Source: Sigrid: Approaching pop from left-of-centre (BBC News)

I keep dipping in and out to see what it is you like about her- she has a quirky voice with that accent.