Felony: Need advice for a friend

In summary, six years ago, the speaker's friend attempted to break into someone's house but was stopped before he could steal anything. He served his time and is now almost done with 5 years of probation. He plans on pursuing a degree in psychology/behavioral neuroscience and eventually going to graduate school to work in a lab and do research. However, he's been told that his felony may make this too risky. Some advice is given, including requesting executive clemency and being honest on university applications about his past. Ultimately, it is stated that graduate school admissions typically do not heavily weigh past convictions.
jinksys
Around six years ago my friend attempted to break into someone's house. He broke down the front door and was stopped before he was able to steal anything. It was a non-violent, non-drug related crime.

He did his time and is almost done with 5 years of probation with no mess-ups. Soon he'll have an associate's degree from the community college and looking to transfer to university. What he has always wanted to do is study psychology/behavioral neuroscience. He wants to go to grad school and work in a lab and do research, however he's been told by some that it'd be too risky with his felony. Is an academic future out of the picture? He was 21 or 22 when the crime was committed.

I appreciate any advice or insight you can provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
Risky? There is no risk. You apply and they say yes or no. You're even allowed a chance (in the application of course) to write essays for universities and it would be a great place to explain what a horrible decision it was and how he's learned from it and what have you.

If he has been living an exemplary life, since doing the time, it might be a good idea to request executive clemency. A pardon, or even better, an expungement would go a long way toward easing his concerns.

Just an FYI, most university applications have a tickbox where you check in if you have been prosecuted for any federal/state offense. So as long as he does not lie about it, there is no risk as pengwuino said.

jinksys said:
He wants to go to grad school and work in a lab and do research, however he's been told by some that it'd be too risky with his felony. Is an academic future out of the picture?

For the most part graduate school admissions is not going to care.

twofish-quant said:
For the most part graduate school admissions is not going to care.

Oh yah, good point to bring up. If someone can make it through a bachelors, I'm sure an admissions committee would be very confident that the person is trying to be a productive member of society.

What is a felony?

A felony is a serious crime that is typically punishable by imprisonment for more than one year.

What should I do if my friend has been charged with a felony?

It is important to seek legal advice from a qualified attorney as soon as possible. They will be able to provide guidance and support throughout the legal process.

Can my friend be convicted of a felony even if they are innocent?

It is possible for innocent individuals to be charged and convicted of a felony. It is important to have a strong defense and gather evidence to prove their innocence.

What are the potential consequences of a felony conviction?

The consequences of a felony conviction can vary depending on the severity of the crime, but may include imprisonment, fines, probation, and a permanent criminal record.

Is it possible to have a felony conviction expunged?

In some cases, it is possible to have a felony conviction expunged from a person's criminal record. This typically requires meeting certain eligibility requirements and going through a formal legal process.