Ferry boat sinks 4 cm when truck boards—find combined weight

  • Thread starter Thread starter b0r33d
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
b0r33d
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ferry boat is 4.0 m wide and 6.0 m long. When a truck pulls onto it, the boat sinks 4.00 cm in the water. What is the combined weight of the truck and ferry?

Homework Equations



Buoyant force = Weight of the floating object

The Attempt at a Solution



How would I find the weight when I don't know the mass of either object? I don't know what equation I would use or how to get started on the problem...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF bor33d. This is a great place to get homework help but you have to understand that we have rules here. You have not shown ANY attempt on the problems you have posted in this forum. (I have seen your other threads.) The rules are that you must show some work before you get help here. I know you are not far enough along to do any calculations in these problems, and that is fine, but you still need to show some effort. For instance, in all of your problems you have posted formulas that do apply the the problem. Why did you decide to post them? How do they relate what your given and what you need to find?Sorry, but if I just told you what equations to use, you wouldn't get anything out of this thread or your others.

So show me some of your thoughts on this problem.