Feynman's detectors at double slit

In summary, Feynman was the first to suggest that placing detectors at the double slits would cause the interference pattern to disappear due to "knowing with path". However, this specific experiment has never been done with photons as they cannot be detected without absorption. Despite this, Feynman stated in "QED, The strange theory of light and matter" that this is how nature works, possibly based on his calculations of paths. This theory has been supported by experiments with electrons, but not with photons during Feynman's time. The results of this experiment are explained in more detail in Feynman's "Lectures on Physics", where he states that the interference is lost when an experiment is performed to determine which alternative is
DParlevliet
As far as I know Feynman was the first who told that if you would put detectors at the double slits the interference pattern would disappear, because of "knowing with path". But I think this specific experiment has never been done because a photon cannot be detected without absorption. So if Feynman could not have done the experiment, why did he stated in "QED, The strange theory of light and matter" that this is how nature works? Or is it the result of his calculation of paths, so he expects that nature would work so.

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly don't know exactly what Feynman said in that context, however the double slit experiment also works with electrons. In that case you can detect their position without involving any absorption.

DParlevliet said:
As far as I know Feynman was the first who told that if you would put detectors at the double slits the interference pattern would disappear, because of "knowing with path". But I think this specific experiment has never been done because a photon cannot be detected without absorption. So if Feynman could not have done the experiment, why did he stated in "QED, The strange theory of light and matter" that this is how nature works? Or is it the result of his calculation of paths, so he expects that nature would work so.

This describes a recent "which way" or "Welcher Weg" experiment with electrons:
http://phys.org/news/2011-01-which-way-detector-mystery-double-slit.html

Or this one:
http://wiki.epfl.ch/mep/documents/MEP[08-09]_DOWNLOAD/applphyslett_93_073108_feynman_exp.pdf

But experiments which electrons has also not be done in Feynman's time. So what was the theoretical base of his statement?

As far as I know, Feynman never attempted the actual experiment with observation for photons. I do not believe such equipment was even available. What he could have done, however, was carry the experiment out with high-energy photons in a cloud chamber, thus revealing their tracks. This should (at least in principle) destroy the interference pattern.

It's a fundamental result of QM; Feynman goes into the details in "Lectures on Physics", the third volume.

DParlevliet said:
As far as I know Feynman was the first who told that if you would put detectors at the double slits the interference pattern would disappear, because of "knowing with path". But I think this specific experiment has never been done because a photon cannot be detected without absorption.
You can know which way of photons without absorption. You simply place a polarizer in front of each slit oriented 45° relative to the source. When those are parallel, there is interference. When they are crossed, there is no interference.

UltrafastPED said:
It's a fundamental result of QM; Feynman goes into the details in "Lectures on Physics", the third volume.

There Feynman says:

"If an experiment is performed which is capable of determining whether one or another alternative is actually taken, the probability of the event is the sum of the probabilities for each alternative. The interference is lost"

It would be jumping into conclusions to say that the interference is lost "because of knowing which path". Does he actually say that in the QED book ?

1. What are Feynman's detectors at double slit?

Feynman's detectors at double slit refer to a thought experiment proposed by American physicist Richard Feynman to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It involves a setup where a single photon is sent through a double slit and detected by two detectors placed on opposite sides of the slits.

2. How does this thought experiment demonstrate wave-particle duality?

The thought experiment shows that the behavior of light can be explained by both wave and particle models. When the photon is sent through the slits, it creates an interference pattern on the detector screen, suggesting a wave-like behavior. However, when the detectors are placed, they detect the photon at a single point, indicating a particle-like behavior.

3. What is the significance of this thought experiment?

Feynman's detectors at double slit experiment helps to illustrate the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle. It also highlights the limitations of classical physics in explaining the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can this experiment be performed in real life?

Yes, this experiment has been replicated in various forms in laboratories to observe the wave-like and particle-like behavior of light. However, it is important to note that the detection of a single photon is a challenging task and requires advanced technology.

5. What are the real-life applications of this thought experiment?

The understanding of wave-particle duality and quantum mechanics has led to the development of various technologies, including transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It has also been used in fields such as cryptography and quantum computing.