Fictional Application of Ring-Vortex

• Thread starter Misericorde
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Application
In summary, the conversation is about using the concept of microbursts, which are natural occurrences in severe thunderstorms, as a means to blast or damage objects. The speaker is wondering if this could be used as a non-lethal or highly destructive method, potentially using a vortex to accelerate and aim a "projectile" of water or other dense material. They acknowledge that this would require large-scale machines and elastic structures, but are curious about the potential applications.
Misericorde
I've asked a few question here pertaining to an ongoing bit of writing in the fictional genres, and this is another. Given the fictional nature, two things I DON'T need are:

People thinking this is a serious question about real-world applications.
The assumption that, "just write what you want," is what I'm looking for.

We're all familiar with smoke rings, and most are probably familiar with the toy 'Airzooka'. I understand the physics behind this, and micro bursts, but I'm curious if this kind of phenomena could be used in place of a shaped charge to drive a non-compressible substance as a kind of non-lethal OR highly destructive manner?

To be a little looser, using means that have no relevance to physical reality, could the mechanism behind a micro burst be used as a fairly transient means to blast a person, group of people, or structure(s)? Beyond that, could there be an extension into MHD of the ball lightning variety, and furthermore could such a transient vortex act to accelerate and aim a "projectile" of water or some other relatively dense material?

I appreciate any and all help regarding thing, and again, I realize that the real world application requires "machines" on the scale of weather phenomenon, or very large elastic structures driving great quantities to what still amounts to a modest effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Similar microbursts do, in fact, occur naturally in some severe thunderstorms and have been known to level city blocks much like a tornado (save the fact that the damage is generally outward rather than inward) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst). In other words, yes, it is conceivable to harness the concept to push or damage objects assuming you could generate the required disturbance.

1. What is the fictional application of ring-vortex?

The fictional application of ring-vortex is a concept in science fiction that involves using a vortex or whirlpool of energy to create powerful and often destructive forces. It is often portrayed as a weapon or a means of transportation in fictional stories.

2. Is the fictional application of ring-vortex based on real science?

No, the fictional application of ring-vortex is not based on real science. While the concept of a vortex or whirlpool of energy has some basis in physics, the way it is portrayed in fiction is often exaggerated and not scientifically accurate.

3. How does the fictional application of ring-vortex work?

The fictional application of ring-vortex is typically portrayed as a device or power that can create a swirling vortex of energy, which can then be directed and controlled by the user. The exact mechanics of how this works are usually left vague or unexplained in fiction.

4. What are some examples of the fictional application of ring-vortex in popular culture?

The fictional application of ring-vortex has been featured in many science fiction and fantasy stories, such as the Stargate franchise, Star Wars, and Doctor Strange. It is often used as a powerful weapon or a means of travel between dimensions or galaxies.

5. Could the fictional application of ring-vortex ever become a reality?

While it is unlikely that we will ever be able to create a ring-vortex in the way it is portrayed in fiction, scientists are constantly exploring new technologies and theories that could potentially harness the power of energy in unique and innovative ways. So, who knows what the future may hold?