Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fighting the Neverending Battle Against Crackpot Ads

1. Jun 14, 2007 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's another one I saw advertised while logging in today.

www.magicaltransformations.com Talks about using Quantum Physics to live up to you potential, etc.

Sigh, these things just don't end do they??:uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

Its a rather pathetic website with pathetic services and claims. I wonder what the hosts qualifications are?
    This reminds of that stupid book - "The Secret". So many false promises and bogus claims.

4. Jun 14, 2007 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here's another one I just saw advertised while logging in:

www.creatingconciously.com

5. Jun 14, 2007 #4
    Thanks! I will ban these when I get back in town

6. Jun 21, 2007 #5

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sigh, here's another one:

thefinaltheory.com

I'm pretty sure the people who wrote this book have no idea what they are talking about.

"Flaws in Current Atomic Theory
    We have become so accustomed to the atomic models we have been taught that even our scientists neglect to consider that these are still mere models, which violate both the laws of physics as well as common sense when taken as the literal reality. We are taught that the nucleus mysteriously generates an endless "positive charge force" that pulls on the equally endless "negative charge force" of orbiting electrons."

"Further, the closely packed, strongly repelling positively charged protons in the nucleus are said to be kept from flying apart by another mysterious attracting force (Strong Nuclear Force) that for some unexplained reason only appears between protons when they are extremely close to each other in the nucleus. Again, this apparent attracting force in nature is completely unexplained, as is its unending power source."

These guys don't even know what a force is. They definitely shouldn't be writing a book about a theory of everything. It also sounds like they have a bone to pick with mainstream science.

People are going to buy this and believe it.:uhh:

7. Jun 21, 2007 #6
    Oh my god! what the hell is this ?
    I'm tending to think this is a joke and not real!
    An actual person wrote this and people actually buying this ??
    Someone should have told him, he was holding the physics books upside down!
    I still can't believe people might believe this!he should be hanged!!
    how can a publisher even publish this!!!

8. Jun 21, 2007 #7

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think this is being published by a reputable publisher. Still, it shouldn't be advertised on this site. That's why I'm making it a habit of checking the ads before I log in. Everyone do your part and the crackpots won't be able to advertise here anymore!:approve:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  9. Jun 21, 2007 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

10. Jun 21, 2007 #9

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is that one even about??!!

Thanks! Seriously, if everyone checked the ads before they logged in, we would either have way less crackpot ads, or Greg would be up to his ears in ads needing banning!:biggrin:

11. Jun 21, 2007 #10

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea-- it just looks a little weird!

Well, us mortals (i.e. non-contributors) can see the ads all the time. I for one, though, only really pay attention to them when I see threads like this! I'll look harder in future.

12. Jun 21, 2007 #11

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ahh yes... I sometimes forget that not everyone lives on Mt. Olympus with the rest of us contributors..:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?