Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Films about (fictional) physicists

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    Can anybody recommend a movie about physicists or physics students? It seems that math people seem to have gotten most of the limelight in the last few years. However, there's a film coming out in April which I'm curious about:

"Dark Matter"

Dana Scully had a physics degree, but that barely ever came up on "The X-Files". In "Spiderman" Peter Parker was studying physics.... But in these cases physics mostly serves as a cheap way to give a character credibility without actually being important to the character.

I'm particularly interested to hear about films where ideas from physics work as metaphors for some other aspect of the story. I can only think of a couple books which accomplish this in a very compelling way - "The Genius and the Goddess" (Aldous Huxley), "Music In A Foreign Language" (Andrew Crumey) and "The Crying of Lot 49" (Thomas Pynchon).
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2
    Real Genius.
  4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    Excuse me? How can anyone forget Christopher Lloyd as Dr. Emmett Brown?
    “There's that word again; ‘heavy’. Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?”
    “Wait a minute, Doc. Ah... Are you telling me you built a time machine... out of a DeLorean?”
    “The way I see it, if you're gonna build a time machine into a car, why not do it with some style?”

And if you're talking comic book heroes you've got yer Dr. Reed Richards, yer Dr. David Banner, yer Dr. Charles Xavier (awesome job Patrick Stewart!).

Going way back in the history of film, Klaatu is a sort of physicist even though he's an alien. Eucch, they're going to have Keanu Reeves play him in the remake? I'm not sure I can take that. Professor Barnhardt from that movie is also a physicist.

The character Sherlock Holmes is a scientist in general and spends lots of time monologuing about the scientific method. The scientist-hero Dr. Who seems like he'd be classified as a physicist if anything, though he basically appears to know everything.
  5. Feb 15, 2008 #4
    And here's an IMBD search for “physicist”.
  6. Feb 16, 2008 #5
    Oh, how could I have forgotten "Back to the Future"? Thanks!

Thanks for the IMDB hint. Unfortunately there's no way to filter out the crappy films. ;-)

Here's my favourite entry so far:

Two story lines in one bondage film: in the first tale, Natasha and Connie both have dreams of being tied and gagged in a strange white room. Too soon, the dreams turn to reality. In the second feature, a colleague breaks into a beautiful physicist's home, ties her up and searches her office for a secret research project while the lovely damsels struggles in her bonds.
  7. Feb 16, 2008 #6
    Whoa. Sounds like the créme de crap.
  8. Feb 16, 2008 #7
    I forgot to say, Dark Matter does look interesting. Though I'm not really in the mood for a movie about school shootings right now.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?