Find a where a divides both 11x+3 and 55x+52

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter boiseneon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Discrete Discrete math
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
boiseneon
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
ok the problem is

Given that a and x are intergers, a>1, a|(11x+3), a|(55x+52), find a.

I am not sure how to even start this one to find a...any help please :cry:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
There are integers p, q such that

11x + 3 = pa,
55x + 52 = qa.

Try eliminating x...
 
I am not at all familiar with number theory but I think got the answer:
First of all we have a>1>0 and x>0

11x+3=pa<=>55x+15=5pa (1)
55x+52=qa (2)

(2)-(1)=>37=(q-5p)a
q,p are natural numbers
So a|37 and 37 is a prime=> ...