Find minimum number of generators for Z/nZ

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum number of generators needed to generate the multiplicative group of integers modulo n, where the intersection of the generators is equal to the identity element. A proposed conjecture suggests that the number of factors of the p-group expansion of the group determines the minimum number of generators, but it is unsure if this is true.
jackmell
Is there a method to find the minimum number of generators ##\big<a_1,a_2,\cdots,a_k\big>## needed to generate ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*## such that ##\mathop{\cap}\limits_{n=1}^k \big<a_n\big>=\{1\}## other than by just looking for them and checking orders and products of group elements?

For example, what would be the minimum generator set for ##\mathbb{Z}_{100!}^*##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your specific example, the best I can think of is the following. First prime decompose ##100!##:

[tex]100! = 2^{97} \cdot 3^{48}\cdot 5^{24}\cdot 7^{15}\cdot 11^9\cdot 13^7\cdot 17^5\cdot 19^5\cdot 23^4\cdot 29^3\cdot 31^3\cdot 37^2\cdot 41^2\cdot 43^2\cdot 47^2\cdot 53\cdot 59\cdot 61\cdot 67\cdot 71\cdot 73\cdot 79\cdot 83\cdot 89\cdot 97[/tex]
By the Chinese remainder theorem, we have
[tex]\mathbb{Z}^*_{100!} \cong \mathbb{Z}^*_{2^{97}}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{3^{48}}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{5^{24}}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{7^{15}}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{11^9}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{13^7}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{17^5}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{19^5}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{23^4}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{29^3}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{31^3}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{37^2}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{41^2}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{43^2}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{47^2}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{53}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{59}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{61}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{67}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{71}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{73}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{79}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{83}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{89}\times \mathbb{Z}^*_{97}[/tex]
(If you want the concrete generators, then you will have to find this isomorphism which means you'll need to have an algorithm which implements the Chinese remainder theorem).
The multiplicative group of a cyclic group of prime power is ##\mathbb{Z}^*_{p^k}\cong \mathbb{Z}_{p^{k-1}(p-1)}## (see the above post to find the generators of such a group). So the above factors are all cyclic. So you can find a minimal (generally not minimum) set of generators of cardinality ##25##. Smaller sets might be possible.

Likes jackmell
micromass said:
So you can find a minimal (generally not minimum) set of generators of cardinality ##25##. Smaller sets might be possible.

Ok, I understand how 25 would do but I suspect there is no set ##\big<a_1,a_2\cdots,a_{25}\big>## that would generate the group such that ##\mathop{\cap}\limits_{n=1}^{25} \big<a_n\big>=\{1\}##. I think we would need 26:

My conjecture:

Let ##\mathbb{Z}_{n}^*\cong S_2\times S_{p_2}\times\cdot \times S_{p_n}## where ##S_p## are the p-group expansions of ##\mathbb{Z}_n^*##. Then the minimal number of generators ##\big<a_1,a_2,\cdots,a_k\big>## for the group such that ##\mathop{\cap}\limits_{n=1}^{25} \big<a_n\big>=\{1\}## is equal to the number of factors of ##S_2##. In the case of ##\mathbb{Z}_{100!}^*##, it's 26.

I was wondering if there is any way we could prove or disprove that though?

Edit:

After thinking about this, I may be wrong since it seems to me the intersection of the 25 generators micormass proposed above would also be the identity element. Not sure.

Last edited:

1. What is Z/nZ?

Z/nZ, also known as the ring of integers modulo n, is a mathematical structure that consists of all the integers from 0 to n-1, where n is a positive integer. It is commonly used in abstract algebra and number theory.

2. Why do we need to find the minimum number of generators for Z/nZ?

Finding the minimum number of generators for Z/nZ helps us understand the structure and properties of this mathematical object. It also has practical applications in cryptography and computer science.

3. How do we find the minimum number of generators for Z/nZ?

The minimum number of generators for Z/nZ is equal to the number of distinct prime factors in the prime factorization of n. For example, if n = 12, then the minimum number of generators is 2, since 12 = 2^2 * 3 and it has two distinct prime factors.

4. What is the significance of the minimum number of generators for Z/nZ?

The minimum number of generators for Z/nZ is important because it tells us about the structure and symmetry of this mathematical object. It also helps us determine the size of the group of units in Z/nZ, which has applications in number theory and cryptography.

5. Can the minimum number of generators for Z/nZ be greater than 1?

Yes, the minimum number of generators for Z/nZ can be greater than 1. In fact, for certain values of n, it can be equal to n-1, which means that every element in Z/nZ is a generator. This happens when n is a prime number or a power of a prime number.