Find the inequality that satisfies this quadratic problem

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to solving a problem involving a quadratic equation and an inequality. One person suggests examining the neighborhood of the critical values, while another suggests using the factors of the equation. They also discuss the difficulty of directly investigating the corresponding straight lines.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached...
Relevant Equations
quadratic equations...
see the textbook problem below;

1634785415928.png
see my working to solution below;

1634785465755.png

i generally examine the neighbourhood of the critical values in trying to determine the correct inequality. My question is
"is there a different approach other than checking the neighbourhood of the critical values"? In other words, i am seeking an alternative approach.

cheers guys...

Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same result, but I used the same method. The quadratic equation for ##k## is ##k^2-7k+12<0##. This is a parabola, opened at the top, so all values between the two zeros have to be negative, and the zeros are ##7/2\pm \sqrt{1/4}.##

What other method do you mean? Without the parabola in mind, we can write
$$
k^2-7k+12=(k-4)\cdot(k-3) < 0
$$
In order for a product to be negative, the two factors must be of different signs. So we have the options ##k-4>0## and ##k-3<0## which is impossible, or ##k-4<0## and ##k-3>0## which is the solution.

Likes robphy
I meant another approach...cheers Fresh :cool: :cool:...cheers mate, i find it much easier just to examine the neighbourhood of the critical values ##k## and i check whether they satisfy the given inequality...this is similar to your analysis that you have shown on your last paragraph. Cheers.

chwala said:
I meant another approach...cheers Fresh :cool: :cool:...cheers mate, i find it much easier just to examine the neighbourhood...its pretty straightforward.
Yes. Once you know the zeros of the equation you are done, one way or the other. I scribbled the parabola and "saw" that we are looking for the in-betweens. I only added the consideration with the factors as an additional way to get the result.

The direct investigation of the straights ##y=k(4x-3)## is a bit difficult because ##k## changes slope and the point where the straight crosses a coordinate axis simultaneously. I see no way to get a hold of this line bundle. Calculating the intersection points is easier.

Likes chwala

1. What is a quadratic problem?

A quadratic problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the maximum or minimum value of a quadratic function. A quadratic function is a polynomial function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do you find the inequality that satisfies a quadratic problem?

To find the inequality that satisfies a quadratic problem, we first need to determine the maximum or minimum value of the quadratic function. This can be done by using the vertex formula, completing the square, or graphing the function. Once we have the maximum or minimum value, we can write the inequality using either < or > depending on whether the function has a maximum or minimum value, respectively.

3. Can there be multiple inequalities that satisfy a quadratic problem?

Yes, there can be multiple inequalities that satisfy a quadratic problem. This is because a quadratic function can have multiple maximum or minimum values. In this case, we would need to write multiple inequalities to represent all the possible solutions to the problem.

4. What are the applications of quadratic problems in real life?

Quadratic problems have many applications in real life, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, a quadratic function can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, the shape of a parabolic mirror, or the profit function of a company.

5. How can I check if my solution to a quadratic problem is correct?

You can check your solution to a quadratic problem by substituting the values of the variables into the original inequality and checking if it is true. You can also graph the quadratic function and see if the coordinates of the maximum or minimum point satisfy the inequality. Additionally, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring or the quadratic formula to verify your solution.