Find the mass of a black hole from just its radius?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Lamdbaenergy
Messages
35
Reaction score
1
I know the original schwarzschild formula for finding the radius of the black hole, but what equation can be used to find its mass if you ONLY know its radius?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can't you use the same formula? Only instead of using mass to find the Schwartzschild radius, use the Schwartzschild radius to find the mass.
 
Bandersnatch said:
Can't you use the same formula? Only instead of using mass to find the Schwartzschild radius, use the Schwartzschild radius to find the mass.

Nope, got nowhere near the right mass. I tried for a solar mass black hole, too. Any other suggestions?
 
Bandersnatch said:
Can you show what you did exactly?

2GR/c^2, then I tried R^2c^2/2G
 
Neither of those is correct. Start with the Schwartzschild radius formula ##r_s=\frac{2Gm}{c^2}## and isolate the mass on one side.