Find the mass of two decayed fragments

• Thread starter Miri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, an unstable particle with a mass of 3.34*10^-27 kg decays into two fragments with velocities of 0.987c and -0.868c. Using the conservation of momentum and energy equations, the masses of the fragments are found to be 2.51*10^-28 kg and 8.82*10^-28 kg, respectively. After multiple calculations, the correct solutions were obtained.
Miri

Homework Statement

An unstable particle with a mass equal to 3.34*10^-27 kg is initially at rest. The particle decays into two fragments that fly off with velocities of 0.987c and -0.868c. Find the masses of the fragments.

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum: 0=(m1*0.987c)/sqrt(1-(0.987)^2-(m1*0.868c)/sqrt(1-(0.868)^2

conservation of total energy: 3.34*10^-27 kg=m1/sqrt(1-(0.987)^2+m2/sqrt(1-(0.868)^2
when I solve this for m1 or/and m2 it gives me the wrong result.

Solutions:
mfaster=2.51*10^-28 kg
mslower=8.82*10^-28 kg

Physics news on Phys.org
Are those solutions you gave the ones you got that were wrong, or the correct ones? Because I get the same answer as the solutions you gave using your equations.

Last edited:
These are the correct solutions (not mine). Now, after calculating it a hundred times I also got the correct result. Thank you

1. What is the significance of finding the mass of two decayed fragments?

Finding the mass of two decayed fragments is important because it allows us to understand the decay process and the resulting particles. This information can help us better understand the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of particles in the universe.

2. How is the mass of two decayed fragments measured?

The mass of two decayed fragments is typically measured using a mass spectrometer. This device separates particles based on their mass-to-charge ratio, allowing us to accurately determine the mass of each fragment.

3. Can the mass of two decayed fragments change over time?

Yes, the mass of two decayed fragments can change over time due to the decay process. As particles decay, they release energy in the form of radiation, which can result in a change in mass.

4. How does the mass of two decayed fragments relate to the original particle?

The mass of the two decayed fragments will always be less than the mass of the original particle. This is due to the release of energy during the decay process, which results in a decrease in mass.

5. What other factors can affect the mass of two decayed fragments?

The mass of two decayed fragments can also be affected by the type of decay, the energy released during the decay, and any interactions with other particles in the surrounding environment.