Find the tension between two train carts as the train brakes.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from an exam involving a train with three carts, each with a mass of 9800 kg. The last cart applies brakes with a force of 40,000 N and the task is to find the tension of "A," a frictionless and extensible rope between Train2 and Train3. The individual is unsure of how to approach the problem and mentions using the formula F=ma and possibly kinematics. They suggest drawing a free-body diagram for each cart and solving for the tension by applying F=ma separately for each cart and then solving the simultaneous equations.
ichivictus
This was from my last exam. I got this problem wrong. I feel like I should have known how to do it but I blanked out or something. Just coming here to figure out how it's supposed to be done.

(This is from what I remember, numbers may be off from what was on the test)

Q: A train with three carts, each with a 9800 kg mass, is traveling at 14 m/s and the last cart of the train applies brakes with 40,000 N. Find the tension of "A." Treat "A" as a frictionless and extensible rope.

40,000 N <-- (Train1)-(Train2)-(Train3) --> 14 m/s

A is the tension between Train2 and Train3.

I know I got it wrong, but taking another look I think I have to take the net force and subtract all forces till I'm left with the tension. Not entirely sure though.

I was at a blank and tried to equate both sides of "A" and solve for something I think. It looked silly.

Relevant equations would be F=ma and possibly kinematics since all other problems on the test were kinematics. However, I'm convinced that this is just something dealing with subtracting forces. I just can't figure it out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you do is draw a free-body diagram for each cart.
Then apply F=ma for each one separately.
Then solve the simultaneous equations.

Likes 1 person

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or similar object when it is pulled tight by forces acting from opposite ends.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object.

3. Why is finding the tension between two train carts important?

Knowing the tension between two train carts is important because it allows us to understand the forces acting on the carts and determine if the train is safe to operate.

4. How does the train's braking affect the tension between the two carts?

The train's braking causes a deceleration force on the carts, which in turn increases the tension between them. This is because the force of the brakes is acting in the opposite direction of the train's motion, creating a tension force between the carts.

5. Are there other factors that can affect the tension between the two train carts?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the tension between the two train carts, such as the speed of the train, the weight of the carts, and the condition of the tracks. These factors can impact the amount of force placed on the train and therefore affect the tension between the carts.