1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the tension between two train carts as the train brakes.

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1
    This was from my last exam. I got this problem wrong. I feel like I should have known how to do it but I blanked out or something. Just coming here to figure out how it's supposed to be done.

(This is from what I remember, numbers may be off from what was on the test)

I know I got it wrong, but taking another look I think I have to take the net force and subtract all forces till I'm left with the tension. Not entirely sure though.

I was at a blank and tried to equate both sides of "A" and solve for something I think. It looked silly.

Relevant equations would be F=ma and possibly kinematics since all other problems on the test were kinematics. However, I'm convinced that this is just something dealing with subtracting forces. I just can't figure it out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What you do is draw a free-body diagram for each cart.
    Then apply F=ma for each one separately.
    Then solve the simultaneous equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted