Find the Two-Digit Number: Exceeds by 4 and 1 Less Than Twice the Units Digit

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter paulmdrdo1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
paulmdrdo1
Messages
382
Reaction score
0
The tens digit of a certain two-digit number exceeds the units digit by 4 and is 1 less than twice the units digit. Find the two-digit number.

this is my solution,

let $x=$ tens digit, $x-4=$units digit.

$x=2(x-4)-1$ then, $x=9$ and $9-4=5$

the number is 59

but when I let $x=$ units digit and $x+4=$ tens digit I get the answer of 95.

can you tell me which one is correct?

tnahks!
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: digit problems.

I let $T$ be the tens digit and $U$ be the units digit, and so:

$$T=U+4=2U-1\implies U=5\implies T=9$$

And so the two digit number is $95$.
 
Re: digit problems.

paulmdrdo said:
let $x=$ tens digit... $x=9$ and $9-4=5$

the number is 59
No, it's 95.
 
Re: digit problems.

paulmdrdo said:
The tens digit of a certain two-digit number exceeds the units digit by 4 and is 1 less than twice the units digit. Find the two-digit number.

this is my solution,

let $x=$ tens digit, $x-4=$units digit.

$x=2(x-4)-1$ then, $x=9$ and $9-4=5$

the number is 59

but when I let $x=$ units digit and $x+4=$ tens digit I get the answer of 95.

can you tell me which one is correct?

tnahks!

In your solution you said: "let $x$ be the tens digit", and then solved for $x$ to obtain $x = 9$.

Thus your number is 9_ (ninety-something).

Solving for the unit digit, which you have as $x - 4$, you obtained: 5.

Thus your number is 95.

You solved it correctly, but misinterpreted your own solution.