1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a generating function for a canonical transformation

1. Mar 3, 2012 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to find a generating function for the canonical transformation [itex]Q=\left ( \frac{\sin p}{q} \right )[/itex], [itex]P=q \cot p[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    I am not really sure. I know there are 4 different types of generating function. I guess it's totally up to me to choose the type of the generating function I want, since it's not specified in the problem statement?
    So let's say I want a type 1. Thus F_1 depends on q and Q.
    [itex]\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial q}=p[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{\partial F_1}{\partial Q}=-P[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the relevant equations, [itex]\partial F_1=-P \partial Q[/itex] and [itex]\partial F_1=p \partial q[/itex].
    I don't really know why, but apparently [itex]dF_1=pdq-PdQ[/itex]. It looks like [itex]dF_1=2 \partial F_1[/itex] for some reason unknown to me.
    Now I think the main idea to get [itex]F_1[/itex] is to express [itex]dF_1[/itex] as a single differential and then integrate.
    I have that [itex]p= \cot ^{-1} \left ( \frac{P}{q} \right )[/itex] and [itex]dQ=\frac{1}{\sin p } \left [ \frac{\cos p}{q}dp-\frac{\sin p}{q^2}dq \right ][/itex].
    This gives me [itex]dF_1=(p+ \cot p)dq-q\cot ^2 p dp[/itex]. In a book I found that this is equal to [itex]d[q(p+\cot p)][/itex] (how?!!!), therefore [itex]F_1=q \cot ^{-1} \left ( \frac{P}{q} \right )+P[/itex]. But it seems that F depends on P and q instead of on q and Q. So I "found" a type 2 generating function instead of type 1... I think I know why, I found p instead of q. Anyway my problems remains.
    1)Why is [itex]dF=pdq-PdQ[/itex]?
    2)Why and how do you figure out that [itex](p+ \cot p)dq-q\cot ^2 p dp=d[q(p+\cot p)][/itex]?
    I'd be very grateful if someone could answer these 2 questions.
    Thanks!

Edit: I just answered the "why" of my question 2. I just don't know how do one figures this out.

Edit 2: I do not know why I found out a type 2, namely F(P,q) while I was looking for F(q,Q).

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?