Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a research interest/project

1. Aug 23, 2006 #1
    Now that I'm a research assistant at graduate school in mechanical engineering, I'm having trouble finding precisely where my research interests lie. At least part of my problems stem from the fact that my undergraduate degree is in physics, not engineering. Here are the math/physics/engineering-related courses I took as an undergrad:
    University Physics I & II
    Modern Physics I & II
    Engineering Circuits
    Digital Circuits
    Engineering Thermodynamics
    Classical Mechanics
    Quantum Mechanics
    Classical Physics Laboratory

Calculus II and III
    Ordinary Differential Equations
    Linear Algebra
    Proof Techniques
    Abstract Algebra
    Applied Statistics
    Mathematical Statistics I & II

The graduate courses I'm currently enrolled in are:
    Modeling and Simulation of Mechatronic Systems
    Manufacturing Techniques

With this background, what mechanical engineering research area am I best suited for? I still have a month or so to find a niche, but I would appreciate any advice or input regarding this situation. Does anyone have a suggestion for a particular research endeavor I have the tools/skills to successfully do work on?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm... interesting question. Perhaps vacuum technology? Propulsion systems? Nuclear reactors? Materials science?

- Warren
  4. Aug 23, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi eku_girl. I'd suggest you think about what you enjoy the most. Did any of the classes thrill you? What piques your curiosity? Even if what you enjoy most of all has nothing to do with any of the classes you took, aim at what you enjoy. The next 40 years of your life shouldn't depend on what classes you took in the last year or two. If you're not sure if you'd enjoy working in some field, find a company in your area that does what you think you might enjoy and schedule a visit with them. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you a tour.
  5. Sep 11, 2006 #4
    Sounds like you are ready to jump into Unified Field Theory

We need classical engineering Physics majors to jump into some old classical physics now and work in the new fields which will arrise as the world begins to change.

This is not bunk. Read the theories yourself and understand that most came from the late 1800's and early 1900's.

The Unified Field Theory is right at our doorstep.

Easy to understand articles are here - jump right into the quantum foam from there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?