Extra Year of Study for Graduate Physics Research: A Possibility?

In summary: Can you advise on ways to make connections and get advice from professors outside of class?Making connections with professors is important, but it's also important to be proactive and set up meetings with professors before you arrive on campus. You could try contacting the professors who teach the classes you're interested in, or looking for information on the department website or online.
df3421
andresB said:
I know of two places where they would give you (if they accept you) one extra year for you to cover undergrad classical mechs/EM/stat mech/quantum mech. But I suppose these kinds of places are unusual, and it is still one extra year dedicated to grad school (and not dedicated to making money in the industry). The path is still possible, though.

I am interested in pursuing graduate reserch in physics. I have undergraduate and graduate degrees in engineering with a research in classical mechanics. However, PhD programs require a background in modern physics in order to be accepted and I would prefer to strengthen my preparation in quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics before pursuing a PhD in physics.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to find schools or programs that offer the option of advanced undergraduate courses in these subjects, unless by starting a new undergraduate program (impractical). Most Master's programs are intended as terminal degrees and offer only professional-type courses, without the rigor required for a PhD in physics.

If you have any recommendations for schools that offer this option, it would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should give more information about yourself so that people can give you more precise advice. Where are you from? where are you living?
Personally, I don't think the university I know of would be of any help, unless you happen to be in Colombia or you are willing to move there.

Likes df3421
df3421 said:
Unfortunately, I have been unable to find schools or programs that offer the option of advanced undergraduate courses in these subjects, unless by starting a new undergraduate program (impractical).
I'm assuming you're in the US. Did you try searching for "non degree seeking student"? When I tried it just now, Google gave me hits for institutions preferentially in my region, e.g. Clemson, U of SC, UNC Chapel Hill. I do see U of Illinois on the first page, oddly enough. Try including specific university names in your search terms.

There are often restrictions. For example, U of SC states "All non-degree students are admitted on a space-available basis and register for available courses after currently enrolled UofSC degree-seeking students."

Below the top tier, I'm sure many US universities and four-year colleges will be happy to take your money to enroll as a non-degree student if they have space in the classroom, which is probably more likely than not, with upper-division physics courses.

• Love
Likes df3421
andresB said:
I think you should give more information about yourself so that people can give you more precise advice. Where are you from? where are you living?
Personally, I don't think the university I know of would be of any help, unless you happen to be in Colombia or you are willing to move there.
Country & Living: US
Graduated from engineering grad: US
Looking for colleges within: US

I am looking for colleges which would accept engineering majors for pursuing phd-level gradudate studies. If needed, I'd be happy to take the missing "advanced undergraduate courses" as advised in here.

I understand that you should be paying for the first year on your own as graduate non-matriculated. However, could you please recommend the schools that offer a program that is worth the investment of time and money, and will give me a good chance of being accepted later on into a physics PhD program?

You mentioned in your other post that:
I know of two places where they would give you (if they accept you) one extra year for you to cover undergrad classical mechs/EM/stat mech/quantum mech
so I am interested in universities that are genuinely open to admitting students in this way. Essentially my question is not just whether it is possible (yes technically I know it is...), but whether it is feasible (you actually know of someone who did it).

TIA

jtbell said:
I'm assuming you're in the US. Did you try searching for "non degree seeking student"? When I tried it just now, Google gave me hits for institutions preferentially in my region, e.g. Clemson, U of SC, UNC Chapel Hill. I do see U of Illinois on the first page, oddly enough. Try including specific university names in your search terms.

There are often restrictions. For example, U of SC states "All non-degree students are admitted on a space-available basis and register for available courses after currently enrolled UofSC degree-seeking students."

Below the top tier, I'm sure many US universities and four-year colleges will be happy to take your money to enroll as a non-degree student if they have space in the classroom, which is probably more likely than not, with upper-division physics courses.

Thank you, I will follow your advice for standard in-person school within my area. Ideally, I would like to take these non-matriculated classes online, but I am not sure which schools actually offer them. If you know of any, please let me know.

Another important thing for me is to establish connections with professors during this year while being a non-matriculated student. To apply for graduate school, I will need recommendation letters. Additionally, after taking classes, I will seek advice on where to pursue my PhD.

df3421 said:
so I am interested in universities that are genuinely open to admitting students in this way. Essentially my question is not just whether it is possible (yes technically I know it is...), but whether it is feasible (you actually know of someone who did it).

TIA

I personally do know of several cases of engineers transitioning to a Master/Ph.D in physics.

A friend of mine is an electrical engineer and did her Ph.D at Los Andes University, Colombia. She started doing a Master degree, with an extra year to cath up with quantum and statistical mechanics, and then transitioned to the Ph.D. The net result is a Ph.D with an extra year.

The husband of a friend is a software engineer and he did his Ph.D in Memorial University of Newfoundland, but I don't know the details.

Not sure how helpful are those examples, though.

• Love
Likes df3421
@df3421 . Your question concerns, "How do I get into a PhD physics program?" But perhaps you should also discuss, "Why do I want to get into a PhD physics program?" : it's a long, hard journey. What are your engineering degrees in? What has been your research and work experience? Why are you dissatisfied with where you are at now, and why do you want to get into a PhD physics program?

Likes Vanadium 50
df3421 said:
I would like to take these non-matriculated classes online
df3421 said:
establish connections with professors during this year
I think these goals are in tension with each other.

Likes gwnorth
andresB said:
I personally do know of several cases of engineers transitioning to a Master/Ph.D in physics.

A friend of mine is an electrical engineer and did her Ph.D at Los Andes University, Colombia. She started doing a Master degree, with an extra year to cath up with quantum and statistical mechanics, and then transitioned to the Ph.D. The net result is a Ph.D with an extra year.

The husband of a friend is a software engineer and he did his Ph.D in Memorial University of Newfoundland, but I don't know the details.

Not sure how helpful are those examples, though.

Great! Thank you so much for your help. Your assistance has been very helpful, and I truly appreciate it. If you happen to be aware of any schools offering online graduate programs in this field, it would be fantastic, as it would enable me to prepare for the qualifying exams without needing to relocate. Meanwhile, I will attempt to locate some graduate non-matriculated courses in my area that I can attend in person. This will enable me to establish connections with professors for guidance and recommendation letters, which are also critical steps in embarking on my long-awaited and desired journey towards a PhD in physics.

While taking the standard upper-division classes as a non-degree seeking student is your best bet, thee are some things to consider.
  1. You wanted assurances this wouldn't be a waste of time and money. There is no guarantee that this will get you into grad school. In fact, there is no guarantee you will even pass.
  2. This is quite a load for that year. It may not be as easy as you think.
  3. Grad school applications will be due half-way through this year. This is obviously not ideal.
  4. Depending on where you live, nearby colleges may be plentiful or they may be scarce. Boston? No problem. Casper, Wyoming? May be more trouble.

1. What is an extra year of study for graduate physics research?

An extra year of study for graduate physics research refers to an additional year of coursework and research that a graduate student may choose to take in order to further their understanding and expertise in a specific area of physics. This option is typically available to students who are pursuing a master's or doctoral degree in physics.

2. Why would a graduate student choose to take an extra year of study for graduate physics research?

There are several reasons why a graduate student may choose to take an extra year of study for graduate physics research. This option allows students to delve deeper into a specific area of physics that they are passionate about, gain more hands-on research experience, and potentially publish more papers or present at conferences. It can also be beneficial for students who are considering pursuing a career in academia or research.

3. How does an extra year of study for graduate physics research differ from a regular year of study?

An extra year of study for graduate physics research typically involves more advanced coursework and a heavier focus on research projects. This may also include opportunities for students to work closely with faculty members on research projects or participate in internships or co-op programs. Additionally, students may have the option to take on teaching assistant roles or attend conferences and workshops related to their research area.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to taking an extra year of study for graduate physics research?

While an extra year of study for graduate physics research can be beneficial for some students, it may not be the best option for everyone. Some potential drawbacks include the additional time and financial commitment, as well as the potential delay in entering the job market. It is important for students to carefully consider their goals and priorities before deciding to pursue an extra year of study.

5. How can a graduate student determine if an extra year of study for graduate physics research is right for them?

The decision to take an extra year of study for graduate physics research should be based on the individual student's goals, interests, and priorities. It can be helpful to speak with faculty members and current graduate students, as well as researching the specific program and opportunities available. Ultimately, it is important for the student to carefully weigh the potential benefits and drawbacks before making a decision.