Finding acceleration of rod and wedge with friction negligible

  • Thread starter Thread starter sArGe99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
sArGe99
Messages
133
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


th_untitled1.jpg


Find out the acceleration of the rod A and the wedge B in the arrangement if the ratio of mass of the wedge to that of the rod equals [tex]\eta[/tex], and the friction between all contact surfaces is negligible

Homework Equations


Mass of rod = m, Mass of wedge = M

mg - [tex]N cos \alpha[/tex] = ma, downwards

The Attempt at a Solution


Normal reaction is perpendicular the wedge surface and I don't know if it has a component that can accelerate the wedge to the right. If the force is moving to the left, surely the wedge can't be accelerated to the left.

I need to know which force accelerates the wedge to the right. I'm thinking that the normal reaction has the component [tex]N sin \alpha[/tex] directed to the left.
If I knew which component of force was directed to the right, I could solve the remaining part of it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

sArGe99 said:
Find out the acceleration of the rod A and the wedge B in the arrangement if the ratio of mass of the wedge to that of the rod equals [tex]\eta[/tex], and the friction between all contact surfaces is negligible

Hi sArGe99! Welcome to PF! :smile:

conservation of energy? :wink:
 
Yes. I did try that out. Don't think I have got enough information to use that.
 
Normal reaction acts perpendicular to the wedge surface. Is that right, in this case?
I think that is where I might have gone wrong.
 
sArGe99 said:
Yes. I did try that out. Don't think I have got enough information to use that.

Yes you have …

try again (use x and x', where x is horizontal displacement), and show us what you get :smile:​
 
I think the kinematic relationship is Distance moved by Rod / Distance moved by wedge = tan (alpha)?
 
just woke up :zzz: …
sArGe99 said:
I think the kinematic relationship is Distance moved by Rod / Distance moved by wedge = tan (alpha)?

You know it is …

get on with it!​
 
Oh.. I could do with this one, I guess.
It can be solved using force equations, right? I actually wanted to try that method out first.