Finding Change in Vertical Height of a Suspended Block After Bullet Impact

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shawh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Shawh
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 0.05 kg bullet traveling at 200 m/s embeds into a 1.0 kg stationary wood block suspended by two light strings. Find the change in vertical height of the block.

Homework Equations


Wnc = 0 ?
mgho + .5mvo^2 = mghf + .5mfv^2

Wnc != 0 ?
.5mvf^2 + mghf - .5mvo^2 - mgho

The Attempt at a Solution


I really have no idea where to start. I'm not entirely sure if the work of the non conservative forces is equal to zero or not. I'm not even sure what I would put as the initial and final velocities ( 200 and 0 respectively??).

If it's Wnc = 0, then I did this:

.5 ( 1.05 ) ( 200^2) = (1.05) (9.8) hf
2100 = 10.29 hf
2100/10.29 = 204.1m = hf

But that seems like a rather high number
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This problem can be solved in 3 steps...

1. Find the kinetic energy of the bullet before it hits the block
2. Use conservation of momentum to find the speed of the block after the collision.(Remember that mechanical energy is not conserved in an inelastic collision.)
3. Use conservation of mechanical energy and solve for the height of the block.