Finding coefficient of friction for block sliding down 30° incline

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 4.00 kg block starts from rest at the top of a 30° incline and slides a distance of 2.10 m down the incline in 1.30 s.


The Attempt at a Solution


I solved for the frictional force acting on the block and got 9.64 N.

I need to solve for the coefficient of friction. I am having some trouble figuring that out. I am not sure how to find the normal force and once i get the normal force do I use the formula force(friction) = mu * normal force

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
F(friction)=mu*F(normal), where F(normal) is the force perpendicular to the surface of the plane that the block is sliding on. It comes from the weight of the block itself. Draw a free body diagram of the block to find the normal force, you'll have to use a bit of trig to get it. Good luck :)
 
If i multiply the mass by gravity to find the force of it as if it were not on an incline, and then multiply that by the sin of 30, does that give me the normal force?
 
So it would be 9.8*4 = 39.2, but then do you divide that by cos 30, or multiply it?
 
if you draw a diagram of the components of the force you will be able to answer this type of question much more easily. You multiply by cos 30