Finding coefficients of superposition of states

In summary: If you want to normalize them, you should divide both sides by two.Calculate the coefficient which is supposed to be in front of ##|2,1 \rangle ## on the left hand side, and you will find the same answer as you did here.
bznm
I have some troubles in finding coefficients of superposition of states.

I have 2 particles, their spins are s1=3/2 and s2=1/2.
At t=0, the system is described by |a(0)>=|3/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2>

I have to find |a(t)>.

I have thought to proceed in the following way:

1) use the basis |s, s_z> where s=s1+s2 and s_z= s_1z+s_2z and find the expressions of these vectors in function of the "old" basis (old basis: |s1, s_1z, s_2, s_2z> )
2) find the expression of |a(0)> in this new basis and then find its expression in function of t.

But something went wrong... For example, if i want to find |s=2, s_z=1>, I have:
|s=2, s_z=1>=a1 |3/2, 3/2, 1/2, -1/2>+a2 |3/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2>

If I apply the operator J_, I obtain
[tex]0= \sqrt 3 a_1 |3/2, 1/2, 1/2, -1/2>+ 2 a_2 |3/2, -1/2, 1/2, 1/2>+a_2 |3/2, 1/2, 1/2, -1/2>[/tex].. is it wrong?

And now, how can I find a1 and a2 (normalized)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time evolution requires the knowledge of the system's Hamiltonian.

you're right. It is [tex]H=\alpha s_1 \cdot s_2[/tex]
where alpha is constant. Could you help me?

Find the eigenstates of the Hamiltonian.

Step 1) and 2) are correct.
bznm said:
But something went wrong... For example, if i want to find |s=2, s_z=1>, I have:
|s=2, s_z=1>=a1 |3/2, 3/2, 1/2, -1/2>+a2 |3/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2>
I don't see anything wrong, you just haven't founnd the coefficients yet.
bznm said:
how can I find a1 and a2 (normalized)?
They are called Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. There is a way to calculate them so that the states are normalized, but you can also make use of your internet connection to find a related table.

blue_leaf77 said:
They are called Clebsch-Gordan coefficients. There is a way to calculate them so that the states are normalized, but you can also make use of your internet connection to find a related table.

I have to calculate them ;)

There is one convention in calculating Clebsch-Gordan coefficient, namely the coefficient corresponding to ##|s_{max},s_{max}\rangle## is agreed to be unity. In other words
$$ |s_{max},s_{max}\rangle = |s_1,s_1\rangle |s_2,s_2\rangle $$
So, to get the coefficients for ##|2,1\rangle##, you should start by applying lowering operator, ##S_- = S_{1-}+S_{2-}##, to the state ##|2,2\rangle##.

well, I have tried.

[tex]j-|2,2>=|2,1|=k_1 |3/2, 1/2, 1/2, 1/2>+k_2 |3/2, 3/2, 1/2, -1/2>[/tex] where |[tex]k_1>=\sqrt 3, k_2=1[/tex]
if I want to normalize them,[tex] |k_1>=\sqrt 3 /2, k_2=1/2[/tex]

If I apply j_ again,

[tex]j- |2,1>=|2,0>=k_1 *k_3 |3/2, -1/2, 1/2, 1/2>+k_1*k_4|3/2, 1/2, 1/2, -1/2>+k_2*k_5|3/2, 1/2, 1/2, -1/2> [/tex]

where k_3=2, k_4=1, k_5=sqrt 3...

And so, I haven't obtained the correct result... what's wrong?

bznm said:
[tex]j-|2,2>=|2,1>[/tex][tex]j- |2,1>=|2,0> [/tex]
Remember that ##J_-|j,m\rangle = C_-|j,m-1\rangle##, regardless of whether the lowering operator is a total or a single operator

bznm said:
if I want to normalize them,[tex] |k_1>=\sqrt 3 /2, k_2=1/2[/tex]
Calculate the coefficient which is supposed to be in front of ##|2,1 \rangle ## on the left hand side, and you will find the same answer as you did here. Do the same for your second calculation.

1. What does it mean to find coefficients of superposition of states?

Finding coefficients of superposition of states is a mathematical process used in quantum mechanics to determine the probability of a quantum system being in a particular state. This allows scientists to predict the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is the superposition principle used to find coefficients of states?

The superposition principle states that a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. To find the coefficients of these states, we use mathematical equations such as the Schrödinger equation and matrix operations to calculate the probability amplitudes of each state.

3. What is the significance of finding coefficients of superposition of states?

Knowing the coefficients of superposition of states allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a quantum system, which is crucial in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information processing. It also helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Can coefficients of superposition of states be measured directly?

No, coefficients of superposition of states cannot be measured directly. They are inferred from the behavior of a quantum system through mathematical calculations and are not observable quantities.

5. Are there any limitations to finding coefficients of superposition of states?

One limitation is that the superposition principle and the equations used to find coefficients of states are only applicable to quantum systems. They do not apply to macroscopic objects. Additionally, finding coefficients of superposition of states becomes more complex with larger and more complex quantum systems.