1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding equation of the position

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    hi everyone ,, this is my last question before exam :

1) The figure shows the velocity versus time graph. If a particle starts motion at t=0.0
    from x0 = 10.0 m:
    a) Write the equation describing the position of the particle as a function of time t.
    b) What are the positions of the particle at t= 2 s and t = 4 s.?
    c) What is the position of the particle at the instant when it momentarily stops?
    d) Find the distance and displacement of the particle between t = 2 s and t = 5 s.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that a=0 ,, and at t=0 > x=10m and at the same time Vo=12 m/s ,, and the velocity is decreasing so I made this equation :x=10-12t but the problem at t=0 Vo=0 and when I apply x(3) I don't get 18m which it's what i have to get by the graph .. can someone tell me what to do to get the equation ..?

Attached Files:

• Q1.JPG
      Q1.JPG
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Consider how you find displacement from a velocity time graph.

If V = dX/dt, then isn't

X = ∫ V dt ?

And if you integrate V on your graph, what is the easiest way to do that?

Can you think of something that rhymes with area?

4. May 17, 2009 #3

I didn't understand you quite well ,, I tried by doing X = ∫ V dt from x(0,3) x=18 and i get v=6 m/s ,, and from x(0,5) v=2 m/s but the problem is at x(0,0) I should get x=10 and I dont get it,, V changes ...

5. May 17, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Xo is the constant of integration isn't it?

6. May 17, 2009 #5
    yea Xo is constant ,, should I include it in the integral or X = Xo + ∫ V dt ??
    and BTW when i integrate ∫ V dt ,, I'll get Vt right ??

7. May 17, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

V(t) = 12 - 4t isn't it?

So ∫ V(t) dt = ∫ (12 - 4t) dt = X(t)

That means that X(t) = 12t - 1/2*4*t2 + C

Where C = Xo

8. May 17, 2009 #7
    aha ,, so that what you meant X = ∫ V ,, I didn't know that first I should get V(t) equation then integrate .. thanks very much :D

9. May 17, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You can also solve through visual inspection, by simply calculating the area under the curve. Each square represents 4 m.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook