Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Equilibrium Points of Nonlinear Systems

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Hi,

So I keep making mistakes trying to find all of the equilibrium points of different simple nonlinear systems. These problems aren't difficult, it's just that I keep taking different approaches to finding the equilibrium points.

Is there a methodological way to know that I have found all of the equilibrium points for a system?

I have a few examples (below)

Example 1:
    [tex]\dot{x}=x(3-x-2y)[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{y}=y(2-x-y)[/tex]

Example 2:
    [tex]\dot{x}=x^2-y[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{y}=x-y[/tex]

Example 3:
    [tex]\dot{x}=x(2-x-y)[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{y}=x-y[/tex]

Example 4:
    [tex]\dot{x}=x-y[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{y}=1-e^{x}[/tex]

PS, this isn't homework. This is a component of an exam I need to pass, and I'm just looking for a structured way to approach this type of problem.

Thanks in advance
    -H

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2010 #2
    Equilibrium points are points where the derivative of both x and y equals zero.

So f.e. in this system:

[tex]\dot{x}=x-y[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{y}=1-e^{x}[/tex]

The equilibrium points satisfy the system of (algebric) equations:

[tex]x-y=0[/tex]
    [tex]1-e^{x}=0[/tex]

Which means you have only (0,0) as an equilibrium point.

4. Jan 7, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An "equilibrium solution" is simply a constant solution and so its derivative is 0. At an equilibrium point we must have
    [tex]\dot{x}=x(3-x-2y)= 0[/tex]
    [tex]\dot{y}=y(2-x-y)= 0[/tex]

x(3- x- 2y)= 0 when x= 0 or when 3- x- 2y= 0.

If x= 0, then y(2-x-y)= 0 becomes y(2- y)= 0 so either y= 0 or y= 2. So far, two equilibrium points are (0, 0) and (0, 2).

y(2- x- y)= 0 when y= 0 or 2- x- y= 0.

If y= 0, then x(3- x- 2y)= 0 becomes x(3- x)= 0 so either x= 0 or x= 3. We already had (0, 0) but now we have (3, 0) as a third equilibrium point.

If neither x nor y is 0 then we have 3- x- 2y= 0 and 2- x-y= 0. Subtracting the second equation from the first 1- y= 0 or y= 1. With y= 1, both equations become 1- x= 0 so x= 1. The fourth and last equilibrium point is (1, 1).

Do the same for the rest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook