1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Final Speed Using

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    Finding Final Speed Using Work

A person pushes with a horizonal 25N force over a distance of 1.2m on a 4.5kg crate, intially at rest on a frictionless surface. What is the final speed of the crate?

heres my data list..

F=25N
    delta d=1.2m
    m=4.5kg
    v1=0
    v2=?
    theta=0 degrees

i used the W=fxdeltadxcos(theta) formula to find out the work done was 30J.. but once i have work i dont no what to find next to find the final speed..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2
    There are two ways of approach. One is using the constant accleration equation

(v2)^2=(v1)^2+2as

where a is the acceleration of the crate and s is the displacement caused by the accleration, i.e.

v1 = 0, a = F/m (Newton's Second Law) = 25/4.5 = 50/9, s = 1.2, so

v2 = sqrt (2.4*50/9) = sqrt (120/9 ) = sqrt (120)/3

The other is to find the work done by the force = F.d = 25*1.2 = 30J
    and then say this is the additional kinetic energy given to the crate. Since the crate was at rest, we can say

0.5*m*(v2)^2 = 30
    v2 = sqrt ( 60/4.5 ) = sqrt (120/9) = sqrt (120)/3

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What is the work done by the force converted into? (If it is moving what kind of energy does it have?)

5. Jan 13, 2008 #4
    Energy by virtue of its motion is called kinetic energy, and kinetic energy is given by the formula K.E. = 0.5mv^2 where m is the mass of the body and v is the velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?